Question on starter install. 1st time

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
I need to replace the starter, just turned 60K miles & have determined the starter is bad. I put the car up on jack stands today & confirmed, as expected, it's not that easy to get to. I searched the boards and found some info.

13mm socket
3" extension
swivel with electrical tape loosely around the joint
18" extension
ratchet

Approach from the pass side wheel well. You will have to go over the motor mount, and I believe over the swaybar (its been a while now)

If you can, use your fingers to guide the socket onto the bolt, and crack it loose. The rest is easy.

The first time you do it, it can be a bitch, but at this point I can have a starter out in about 15 minutes.

Any additional insight, if needed, would be appreciated. I am trying to work smarter, not harder, contrary to the usual. lol. Thanks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
not too big of a deal, with the right combination of swivels, extensions, and patience - you should be good to go

as stated you have to get at the bolts (esp that top one) by going over the motor mount

best of luck!

racebronco2

Established Member
I used a combination of 1/4 drive sockets and ratchet. The best way is installing the extension/socket so that the ratchet barely clears the starter.

330mach1

Established Member
i went the lazy route. i got 2 12 in extensions and got to it from the front of the eng so you dont hit your knuckles

MVD

Established Member
i went the lazy route. i got 2 12 in extensions and got to it from the front of the eng so you dont hit your knuckles

Agreed. Use long extensions and go all the way from the front of the car. You can sneak between the block and the K-member no problem.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
I used a combination of 1/4 drive sockets and ratchet. The best way is installing the extension/socket so that the ratchet barely clears the starter.

This is what I found was the easiest. I took and taped the bolt to the socket and started it by hand and then tightened it up with a ratchet. I had a thread on this awhile back and some leave that bolt out. I fought with it until I used the 1/4 drive sockets.

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
You can use a bunch of extensions to get to the bolts through the K member.. thats easiest for me. The 3rd bolt is a bitch, I know of several cars with no 3rd bolt lol.

Also, make sure the starter is pretty clean on the area that it mounts against. If its dirty you'll have a bad ground. One time I had one with a bunch of crap on it and it would turn over real slow.. took me for ever to figure it out. Clean everything !

Black Sex

Established Member

I found this to be the best way also. I used a Mac wobbly and a short extension. Just so the ratchet just clears the starter and angles off to the pass side a little bit. Doing it this way I can have it on or off in just a few minutes. I think the hardest part is figuring out where your arms/hands need to be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread