Question on miles

wcdknows

Established Member
I have an opportunity to purchase a terminator at a very good deal. The only problem is the miles(96K). Would you guys and gals buy a car with this many miles and take the word of the seller that it has been taken care of? I am also concerned about the resale value.

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I wouldn't but that's just me, I hate a car with high miles, you just never know what you are getting yourself into. These cars seem to last though, there are a few well over the milage on the one you are looking at with few parts replaced.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I wouldn't rule it out, just depends on the price and how the previous owner treated it.

crystal_SVT

Established Member
i def. would not rule it out especially if there mostly highway miles and the car is unpullied. i bought my car with 89K bone stock and now has 95K an have not had to replace one thing on it, no issues what so ever. if the car was well maintained miles really dont mean much. just cause a car has lower miles doesn't make it the better buy because cars that sit an dont get driven generally have more problems in the long run.

Iron Fist

Established Member
I wouldn't, there are a lot of low mile 03/04's still available and with today’s economy you should be able to pick one up at a very decent price.

allclock

Established Member
At least you will have one!
I DRIVE my 82,000 mile cobra, and I still DREAM about a 10 mile perfect cobra.

Have compression checked, and if it is good go for it!

black 10th vert

Established Member
I guess it depends on how good the deal is, and what your intentions for the car are. If you are just looking for a weekend toy, it should be just as good as any, but if you plan to make a daily driver out of it, then you probably won't get your money's worth out of it before it will need some major engine/trans work. Also, I would not buy a car with mileage that high if you need to finance (mainly for the reason above). If it was a Honda,, or Toyota, then my advice would have been different, since those have proven to be very reliable well after 100,000 miles, where there hasn't been enough Terminators in that category to make a judgment of their long-term reliability (yet).

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
A high mileage car in all likelihood had its problems fixed, or was relatively trouble-free for its owner.

Consider how many low mileage cars are actually cobras that got LEMONED the first time around...or were raged on 1/4 mile at a time...

I'll take the high mileage cobra any day of the week.

Flowerpots masquerading as cars make always me wonder why they didn't get driven.

black 10th vert

Established Member
A high mileage car in all likelihood had its problems fixed, or was relatively trouble-free for its owner.

Consider how many low mileage cars are actually cobras that got LEMONED the first time around...or were raged on 1/4 mile at a time...

I'll take the high mileage cobra any day of the week.

Flowerpots masquerading as cars make always me wonder why they didn't get driven.

This is a very good point! Just because a car has relatively low miles, doesn't mean that it wasn't heavily beaten on by a younger, inexperienced driver! The reason I mention the "younger, inexperienced" part is because older drivers tend to have more respect for the mechanical aspects of the vehicles, so they don't tend to hammer them as hard (they learned the consequences of that when they were younger!:-D). Also experience leads to better, less destructive driving techniques in general.

TrchRedSVT

Established Member
This is a very good point! Just because a car has relatively low miles, doesn't mean that it wasn't heavily beaten on by a younger, inexperienced driver! The reason I mention the "younger, inexperienced" part is because older drivers tend to have more respect for the mechanical aspects of the vehicles, so they don't tend to hammer them as hard (they learned the consequences of that when they were younger!:-D). Also experience leads to better, less destructive driving techniques in general.

I dont mean to start a pissing match, but im 18 and i drive a terminator, not as a DD but i do drive it from time to time, Not all younger kids beat on their cars, i worked my ass off for mine and im still paying it off, i respect the hell out of it and i sure dont beat on it.:fm:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
I dont mean to start a pissing match, but im 18 and i drive a terminator, not as a DD but i do drive it from time to time, Not all younger kids beat on their cars, i worked my ass off for mine and im still paying it off, i respect the hell out of it and i sure dont beat on it.:fm:

feel you on that...im 20 and work my ass off for mine too and still paying on it no way in hell do i take it out and just beat on it. I love my car almost more than anything and I treat it like its 100k ferrari or somthing, but its my baby:beer:

svt4cobra6

I would look at it, check compression, look for blow by, try to find out if it uses any oil and check for any valvetrain noise. My 03 has 64k miles and does not use any oil, runs great and seems to have a lot of life left in it. It still has a stock tune although it has been dynoed a few times. The oil and filter has been changed every 3k miles and the car has been well maintained.

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
Never buy a high mileage car if you are concerned about the resale value. If it was well maintained then the car should be fine, after you test drive it of course. The only realistic use you will get out of a Cobra with that many miles is a daily driver. Speaking from experience, my Cobra has 101K on it and still runs just as strong as it ever has. Just keep in mind that with higher miles, you will more than likely have to repair or replace things sooner on the car. Everyone frightened off by a little repair work or getting your hands dirty more often with a car...need not apply.

PS: The only high mileage vehicle that will hold it's value well is any truck with a diesel engine.

Forgot to ask....but is this the car you were looking at?
At http://www.dadamsauto.com/carsforsale.aspx

331646_17.gif

331646_08.gif

331646_14.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread