Question on Installing New Toe Links

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
I am going to replace my OEM Toe Links and Eccentrics in my IRS with new ones from FTBR. My old toe links are rusted and frozen and one of my eccentric cams broke from the bolt.

The FSM says to discard the bolt and nut from the lower shock suspension arm and replace with new ones. Also, the same for the nut and bolt at the end of the toe link. My guess is that these are TTY? Where would I get new ones besides Ford (if they even stock them)?

TIA

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've never replaced the lower shock bolt. It might be a liability thing. But it's not TTY as it has a solid torque value. No extra turns needed.

Are you talking about the bolt that attaches the link to the cradle? I've never had to replace one, but my first stop would be Ford.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
I've never replaced the lower shock bolt. It might be a liability thing. But it's not TTY as it has a solid torque value. No extra turns needed.

Are you talking about the bolt that attaches the link to the cradle? I've never had to replace one, but my first stop would be Ford.

Yeah. Sorry, I got page 2 before page 1.

Attachments

• IMG_20190605_0002.pdf
    517.2 KB · Views: 123

52merc

Established Member
OEM shop manuals almost always tell you to change all the fasteners when performing an R&R. I'm sure that is to limit any future liability should a part come loose or fail. Usually not necessary for most fasteners. If the OE fastener had a thread lock compound on it, just clean the threads and use Loctite. Shock bolts really only need to be changed if they are damaged. That being said, there are a few bolts that should always be replaced, besides TTY bolts, and I put the front crankshaft bolt in that category. Never re-use items like cotter pins.

Users who are viewing this thread