Question on H&R springs and isolators

Mark99GT

Established Member
Not trying to start another "what springs should I buy" thread, but I need some advice. I have a convertible, but I'm looking at H&R 51652 Sport springs because of the 1.5" drop and spring rates. The convertible is not listed as compatible for for these springs, but I know they'll physically fit. Does anyone know how the car will ride with the Sport springs? Any experience with them in a vert? I like the spring rates, price, H&R reputation, and the 1.5" drop.

I feel like I'll be scraping on anything much lower, especially with my fat @ss in the car. My assumption is that because the vert is a little heavier the spring may compress a bit more and provide more than the 1.5" drop, but I don't know if that's accurate. Also, if the spring compresses a bit more and lowers past the 1.5" I think that's ok as I'm planning on adding the poly isolators so in theory it would raise it back up a bit and I'd probably be back around the 1.5" drop.

Another thought was using the Super Sports or Race since they're listed for the convertible, also with the poly isolators all the way around as (from what I've read) they seem to add 1/2" back to the ride height. Any actual truth to this? My fear is that the spring rate will be a little too stiff for my liking. I'm looking at the Prothane poly isos, if the brand matters. The Race springs give a drop range, so I don't know what the actual would be. Any idea?

My overall goal is to lower the car approximately 1-1.5" for a better look and handling, retain a (reasonably) comfortable ride, and still be able to clear road obstacles.

I'm also using Koni yellows and MM caster camber plates with the springs and isolators. Other springs I'm considering if the H&R Sports/Super Sports are a bad idea are:

Ford G springs
MM Road & Track springs
Vogtland Sport springs

shurur

Established Member
Well..the H&R sports sit a bit lower than the Race springs. When I installed my Race springs without the metal spacer, I was scraping over some speed bumps. After the rings went in, all was well. And I am running the beefy prothane isolators front and back.

I am going to guess and say that the sport springs will not clear some of the day to day speed bumps you will encounter.

Others posters who actually run the H&R sports may say otherwise.

Vogtland is a good set as well, but few are running them. I think starsky is running them.

Koni yellow sports are great. I have those on my front and Bilstein B8 on the back.

Last edited:

Mark99GT

Established Member
I've read a bunch of threads and am tempted by the race springs. I just can't mentally get over the difference in spring rate. It seems huge to me, but I've never driven a lowered car. So maybe it's not as significant as I'm imagining. Do you know the actual thickness of those isolators?

shurur

Established Member
I've read a bunch of threads and am tempted by the race springs. I just can't mentally get over the difference in spring rate. It seems huge to me, but I've never driven a lowered car. So maybe it's not as significant as I'm imagining. Do you know the actual thickness of those isolators?
There is a springs thread in the terminator or new edge forum. All that is posted up in there. I can't remember anymore. Sorry.

I think the rear is ~1/2" and the front ~1/4".. and the prothane isolators don't settle much if at all.

shurur

Established Member

Post #207

Mark99GT

Established Member

Post #207
That's the info I was looking for. Thank you. I ordered Prothane isos earlier today. I'll measure them when they come in, then decide if I actually want to use them, and if so, then pick a spring. I'm blown away that the difference between poly isos vs none is about an inch.

robvas

Established Member
IMO stay away from anything with a 550lb/in spring rate or higher. (front spring) Also a 2" drop with certain headers can get annoying. Those high front spring rates don't do you any favors on launching either.

rzimmerl

Established Member
I have a 98 vert and have HR super sports with Koni yellow shocks, and energy suspension isolators front and rear. I absolutely love the way it rides, the springs are not overly stiff and I can still have 4 adults in the car without any issues.

Mark99GT

Established Member
There is a springs thread in the terminator or new edge forum. All that is posted up in there. I can't remember anymore. Sorry.

I think the rear is ~1/2" and the front ~1/4".. and the prothane isolators don't settle much if at all.
I just got the rear Prothane isos delivered and whipped out the calipers. Rears are about 10mm top and 6mm bottom for a total of 16mm or about .63 inches. I'll measure the fronts when they come in.
I have a 98 vert and have HR super sports with Koni yellow shocks, and energy suspension isolators front and rear. I absolutely love the way it rides, the springs are not overly stiff and I can still have 4 adults in the car without any issues.
Thats great info. What size wheels/tires are you running? Can you post some pics? I'm actually leaning back towards the super sports now since the isolators add back 1/2 inch of ride height and the stiffer spring rate should help with bottoming out. I'm strongly considering the MM adjustable LCAs too just so I can fine tune the rear height.

rzimmerl

Established Member
I completely overhauled the suspension last winter. Front has Steeda X2 ball joints with the spacers also, MM HD lower rear arms, and recently just installed MM panhard bar. Running 18x9 fronts with 255/40 and 18x10.5 rears with 295/35.

cobra2021.jpg

Mark99GT

Established Member
I completely overhauled the suspension last winter. Front has Steeda X2 ball joints with the spacers also, MM HD lower rear arms, and recently just installed MM panhard bar. Running 18x9 fronts with 255/40 and 18x10.5 rears with 295/35.

View attachment 1750218

That looks really good, nice car. Do you scrape on speed bumps or anything, or bottom out at speed and scrape at all? Also, do you have all 8 energy suspension isolators on (top and bottom) in that pic?

On a side note, I emailed Maximum Motorsports about the Road & Track spring rates and actual drop, since they don't advertise them on their site. They want me to call and "be prepared to place an order when I call" or pay for tech support. I find that odd... Does anyone happen to know those spring rates off hand?

rzimmerl

Established Member
Yes all the isolators are installed. The energy suspensions ones are very similar to the stock rubber ones. We don't have speed bumps around my area and do not notice it bottoming out. Will say the car is pretty low, I'll see if I can get a measurement from the ground to the K member.

Boost or Bust

Established Member
I have a 97 convertible. I went with H&R Supersports and it was terrible. I could feel every bump and crack in the road. I swapped them for ford B springs and couldn’t be happier. Yes the H&R made it feel like it was on rails in the corners but the ride was so ruff, and it scraping everywhere wasn’t worth it. I must say it did look good. I’m also running Koni orange shocks. Good luck with your decision.

5.0calypso93lx

Established Member
I have a 97 convertible. I went with H&R Supersports and it was terrible. I could feel every bump and crack in the road. I swapped them for ford B springs and couldn’t be happier. Yes the H&R made it feel like it was on rails in the corners but the ride was so ruff, and it scraping everywhere wasn’t worth it. I must say it did look good. I’m also running Koni orange shocks. Good luck with your decision.

Did you have the Koni's on when you had the H&R Super Sports?

5.0calypso93lx

Established Member
I went from Eibach sportlines (on the car when I bought it) and stock shocks to the convertible specific H&R Super Sports with Bilstein HD's. I absolutely love how the car rides. It's firm, but not at all harsh and the bounciness of the terrible riding sportlines is gone. I do also have Steeda Weight jacker rear CA's to bring the rear down more. It sat a bit high for my liking with the iso's

Attachments

• IMG_4803.jpg
    IMG_4803.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4825.jpg
    IMG_4825.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 45

Users who are viewing this thread