Question on engine swap

oneof185

Established Member
I am considering buying a 95 Cobra that has a 347 stroker motor put in, all lines a/c etc still in tact and in good running / working order. I want to buy it, take the engine, tranny out and also use it for a 5 lug conversion on my stock '88 coupe. So, I have never done a swap at all, yet alone from different year etc. So my question is, will this work with little modification and if so what needs to be considered etc. My coupe is a no a/c option nor any power windows / locks. So, I do not need that when I do the swap, my only concern is the motor, mass air, computer etc. I am considering because I can get the whole car for what the engine etc would basically cost. So, the built tranny, 5 lug conversion with like new '04 chrome cobra wheels and brand new tires are a plus....I kind of hate to part the 95 when I'm done, but it doesn't have the original tranny and / or motor anyway. Thanks for any help / direction.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
it will work not sure exactly what all needs done though. i know you will need to do a mass air conversion on the 88.

why not just keep the motor in the cobra?

oneof185

Established Member
can't stand the body style to be honest:shrug: My only deciding factor is how easy it will work. My coupe is 100% stock besides exhaust and has a 6k black paint job, looks really good. I think it would just be awesome with a 347, 5 lug Chrome 04 Cobra wheels. I don't want to buy it and then run in to any big problems. I don't know why it wouldn't be a fairly easy job, but I'm not a mechanic...LOL. I would be having a couple buddies help / do it. What's required to the mass air conversion?

Last edited:

93sspcoupe

Established Member
the front accesories are the biggest differance and i believe they gotta be change also. and i believe the headers gotta be changed also. i'm not sure about the fuel rails if they are the same on the foxes as 94 95. i think the swap will be pretty easy and inexpensive.

but the most expensive part will be converting it to mass air.
look on summitt or jegs website for the mass air conversion. they used to be like 500 dollars, idk what the are now. i have never done a mass air swap

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Might as well just yank the harness from the SN95 and use that too. Everything will drop right in, but you'll want to remove that stupid intake elbow that was on the SN95 cars. It's true that the front accessories are different, but if you have the entire thing, I'd just swap it accessories and all. There is no reason to swap it back to a fox style accessory setup that I can think of. Unless it doesn't fit under hood, but I don't see why it wouldn't?

The headers might be an issue, as I think the K-member is different on the newer cars. I'm also not sure about the fuel rail disconnects, but if all you need to change are the fuel rail's and the headers...that's not bad. Actually, you may need a different bell housing too, I think the SN95's had a different sized bellhousing to account for the change in engine position offered by the newer k-members.

In short, I'd swap it all over, including the computer and engine harness, then get yourself one of those autometer clusters and hook up all your gauges that way. Drop the stupid intake elbow, and get some new headers and a fox appropriate bellhousing (and likely input shaft?), then call it a day.

Last edited:

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Might as well just yank the harness from the SN95 and use that too. Everything will drop right in, but you'll want to remove that stupid intake elbow that was on the SN95 cars. It's true that the front accessories are different, but if you have the entire thing, I'd just swap it accessories and all. There is no reason to swap it back to a fox style accessory setup that I can think of. Unless it doesn't fit under hood, but I don't see why it wouldn't?

The headers might be an issue, as I think the K-member is different on the newer cars. I'm also not sure about the fuel rail disconnects, but if all you need to change are the fuel rail's and the headers...that's not bad. Actually, you may need a different bell housing too, I think the SN95's had a different sized bellhousing to account for the change in engine position offered by the newer k-members.

In short, I'd swap it all over, including the computer and engine harness, then get yourself one of those autometer clusters and hook up all your gauges that way. Drop the stupid intake elbow, and get some new headers and a fox appropriate bellhousing (and likely input shaft?), then call it a day.

For the most part it is a direct bolt in. Front accessories are different, the 94/95 t5's have a slightly longer input shaft which iirc will not coincide with a fox. Based on my experience with t5's, mine is fixing to go in one of my tupperware boxes of stock crap considering I've rebuilt it 6 times (4 times due to breakage or synchro wear, not to my rebuild messups lol.) I'd consider a trans upgrade or at least a gforce or astro gear upgrade/rebuild considering your behind a 347. My 306 with a 2+ spec and nittos is stripping gear teeth like it's made of glass. 94/95 kmembers I think will be ok especially with the coinciding spindles. Google maximum motorsports and guru their install guides to find out for sure. I can't remember the links, but they have tons of info on fox to sn95 and up kmember and a arm front end setups.

Users who are viewing this thread