Question on chip installation

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
Checking the tech article on Lightning chip install, JDM Engineering recommends taking the EEC top cover off to clean the port of the factory silicon packing. Any you guys done it this way? I'll have a chip soon from CustomChip and haven't seen it done this way on the TCCoA.

Joe

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Vic....is yours in yet...

Rodeo Joe, you need to remove the plate covering the contacts and get some electrical contact cleaner. I used a 3M scotchbrite pad and rubbed the connectors until the color changed. I did this for about 30 minutes to ensure a good contact surface. Then simply plug in the chip and use a piece of duct tape to hold the chip there. Have fun putting the EEC back up in there. I never used the white bracket again. It's too much of a pain. If you have more questions shoot me an e-mail.

Later man!

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
Todd,

What they did in the Lightning was actually take the EEC apart. Lay it down flat and remove the six screws that hold the top of the computer in place. This makes access to the terminals pretty easy by the looks of things. I was just wondering who else may have done it this way. The money I'm spending on the chip plus everything else, the brakes got pushed back again! Someday Todd! I see the Cougar's OK. Good luck with it.

Joe

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
I see what you're saying about the eec and taking the panel off to gain access. I don't think it's necessary and I don't know of anyone doing it that way with a T-bird or Cougar. I don't know if that helps at all. I say just use the method described above. I'm leary about breaking open the EEC. I don't trust myself with that thing all opened up. I'm gonna have to do this chip thing again soon and I kinda look forward to messing with it again. I hear what your're saying about the amount of money wasted on getting the chip in. I spent 240 on the chip, 50 on the filter adapter, 50 on the filter, 35 on the stang intake tube, and 100 on the MAF. That was one expensive set-up. I actually traded Vic for a set of springs to get a L-Maf. All in all, a great mod....the Cougar is a dog compared to the T-bird, but I like it quiet, and the shifts are more desirable for a daily driver. I think pulleys and a chip might be all I do to the Cougar, but who knows at this point. The dynomax is cheap and a lot of other parts would look great on the cougar too. We'll see. Sorry to hear about the sport brake issues. Dan N told me that some of the brackets for the sport brakes are obsolete. He can find a supplier though. I want to upgrade the T-bird to those brakes by summer.

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
Originally posted by Tydlwavs
I'm gonna have to do this chip thing again soon and I kinda look forward to messing with it again.

oh so your going to help me with mine heheh. filter should be here soon ordered today going to put it all in when it gets here. :) My question to you, i was messing with the intake tube and the maf, how in hell does it go on?? the intake tube is way smaller than the maf, did you need to use a little wd40 on it to get it to slide on???:-?

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
I'll help with yours. I used a hair dryer to warm the rubber intake hose and then work it over the MAF. Take your time and use a screw driver. Just be careful not to tear the rubber. Mine went on after ten minutes. I cleaned the EEC right after that. Tell me what your computer code is again. I think I might pull the EEC out of the bird and use these mods on the Cougar. I want better gas mileage again. Since I drive it all the time it might be a good idea to install the chip and things on the Cougar. I have to figure that part out. I've thought about making the Cougar the ultimate sleeper, but I like the bird better. Did you ever get my mail about the Jamex? shoot me an e-mail when you get some time. Lemme know if you want a hand...I can pull the EEC pretty quick now. done it 4 times. Only pain in the arse is getting the one bracket out of the way. Talk to ya.

Blown306

Established Member
Originally posted by Tydlwavs
Lemme know if you want a hand...I can pull the EEC pretty quick now. done it 4 times. Only pain in the arse is getting the one bracket out of the way. Talk to ya.

Hey! Can I take you up on that as well? Ordered my EEC Tuner today :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread