Question is a hard run low mile'99 worth it??

RUFFTURBO911

Established Member
Hello, I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 cobra that was raced in SCCA. Car did not do amazingly well, so there's no great provenance with it but it still has that cachet of a race car. The car appears pretty much stock except for certain decals and paint that it's in perfect condition. Also, the car has a lot of interesting suspension and one-off components for handling /braking. This is something I'm looking at for a weekend driver and car shows. I'm not looking to do every day driving. My one concern is that even in a very low 18,000 miles the car has been driven hard and although it was maintained very well, how about the wear items like motor, rear, transmission and clutch?? I heard the 99 engines are extremely durable but I don't know about anything else. Any help will be appreciated thanks !

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
All you can do is check everything over really well. If you don't feel comfortable doing it you can take it to a mechanic. Chances are since it was a race car things were taken care of a little better then the average every day driver.

My concern would be the one off parts. What happens when they break?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
What exactly are the one off parts? Do you just mean they are aftermarket or did the guy no shit fab some parts him self and only make one of them?

RUFFTURBO911

Established Member
From what I heard they were by Kenny Brown or Racecraft and early stuff so I'm not sure if the same design that is produced now or if it was more of a prototype thing.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Well, that shouldn't bee too bad. Hell, stock parts break from time to time and need to be replaced. Most things that there are two of come in pairs anyway, like control arms. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not seeing the car, I doubt anyone can give you too much information about what a fair price is. You should look up what normal cars are going for and work from there. I wouldn't think being a race car would increase the value unless it won a big national race or was driven by a famous driver. Just running some SCCA events shouldn't do much for it. I would also think you could at least double the miles on it, since those miles were driven as hard as possible. In the end it just comes down to what you and the seller thinks is fair for both of you. He shouldn't expect to get all the value out of the aftermarket parts.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I will take a beat on low mile car with GOOD maintenance over a high (or low) mile easy going joy rider that never had a oil change.
if they raced it in SCCA I'll bet they took care of it.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
This just seems like a no-brainer. Just pics after you get it home. Thanks.

RUFFTURBO911

Established Member
Tried to post a pic of the engine. No good from the phone. It all looks super clean and paint is mint. I'm getting the vibe like 10-14k max.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If the paint is mint it either wasn't raced very much or has been touched up.
Possibly they masked the front off.
Usually road race cars suffer from paint chips on the front pretty bad.

RUFFTURBO911

Established Member
Thank you all very much for your advice and comments. I'm going to keep the cobra in mind but today I bought a 2001 TA convertible. He wasn't going to budge anyway. Next car is a cobra. In fact my friend just bought a terminator today. Can't wait to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread