Question for Unleashed; Roush '14 Mustang engine oil

TigerRoush

Established Member
Unleashed, I have read your posts on oil and value your opinion. I have decided to go with Almsoil, however,
Almsoil does not carry 5w-50 weight oil that Ford recommends. I want you to look at my situation and give me your honest read. Following is my info.
2014 Roush Mustang
Supercharged by Roush
575 horsepower
Phase 3. RS3
6 speed manual trans
miles on car now little over 500 miles
location is South Carolina low temp 20 to 30 high temps summer 90 to 100 on hot day
driven 7 miles to work, parked and driven 7 miles home maybe 3 days a week
will never be raced on track, however, driven with spirit at times
will probably only put 1500 to 3000 miles on the car each year ( have 2 other rides)

With this info, what is your recommendation on weight and particular oil within Almsoil family
Please be specific as to signature or other and why. Thanks

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm assuming you are driving this car on the street, street racing, with occasional drag racing. No road course track events.

My first choice is, Amsoil ATM 10W-30 Signature Series, NOT Dominator. You drive this car so few miles each year, short trips, year round. So you need a lubricant with robust additive package that will only require once a year oil change while at the same time, have excellent cold start flow for colder winter weather. Since your cars specs 5W-50, it's OK to use ATM. The link below will explain why 10W-30 actually has better cold flow properties than 5W-50 on cold start up. 5W-50 actually specs more like a 20W-50 in virgin form.

Why 10W-30?

I should also note that I prefer the EaO11 (FL820) oil filter on the Coyote engine, even though the EaO17 (FL500) is spec'd. It has the ability to flow more gallons per minute with less restrictions than the EaO17, which improves cold starting with a more viscous lubricant. Well, in your case...it will be less viscous at cold starting with ATM. The list below are the other things I'd recommend for your car.

This is a newly revised application list I have created. Some hardcore Boss 302 road course competition guys were concerned about using 10W-40 on the course, that it was insufficient. Therefore, I modified my original list to address their concerns. It also reflects me official abandoning Amsoil AMO 10W-40, as the formulation has aged, and XLO's additive package outperforms.

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. *RD30 & RD50 must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles*

8 quart fill – GT
8.5 quart fill – Boss 302 and Track Pack GT

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short trip driven, no matter the climate….use this. *Mustang GT only*

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures with bolt on mods, street/drag raced during the summer, and you want one oil for year round use....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this. *If you always short trip the car, use Amsoil AZO or ALM instead (never get the oil up to full temperature)*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your street car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, turbo or Supercharged, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil XLO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course run your car for the experience (learning - short heats)....use this.

Amsoil Dominator 15W-50 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course race your car in competition for extended sessions….use this. This lubricant is best suited when pushing your car to the edge of cooling limits from sustained high rpm operation. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting street duties*

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine used on the street or drag strip only is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil EaO11 - This in an equivalent of a Motorcraft FL820 oil filter and will outperform any other full flow spin on filter. Royal Purple uses the same filter (20-820). The Coyote and Roadrunner spec an EaO17 (FL500), however the EaO11 has an advantage in gallon per minute flow for higher performance engines.

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing poor shifting.

If you have the Auto 6 speed, this stuff will survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer - Use 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of gasoline when storing your car in the winter.

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread