Question for some of the track guys, even some AutoX guys to!!!

fastbird86

Established Member
Really how much of a differance between the Open Track and AutoX as far as Alighnment angles and spring rates on the old platform mustangs?

I look at read some treads on CC and other forums that the most you want to run is 3 degrees camber, others say you want as much as you can get, most of them run 5 degress!

I hear people that you don't want to go no more than 1000 lbs on the front and 300 lbs in the rear on the springs. but yet you see AutoX guys running 1600 lbs. on the front and 525 lbs. coil-over style springs with weight jackers on the rear.

It kinda gets frustrating when ya try to build a car to work well for what you want to do with it, in my case AutoX, and you get so many diffrent opinions and you don't know which way is a good way, there for you end up swaping parts and spending more money than intended, it kinda sucks.

sleepless

Established Member
The different opinions are due to the different driving styles and preferences. Suspension setup is a lot more subjective than most people think.

So, you try something and then you change it... repeat until you are happy :)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Autocross and road racing (OT) are two completely different animals. One is done in very tight quarters at relatively low speeds and one is done in the wide open spaces at sometimes very high speeds.

Alignment settings can be set fairly radical for autocross but won't work at higher speeds for OT.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
I run the same set-up for autoX and Open Track. My car is set up for autoX but holds its own on the open track. My Fox is maxed out at -3.25* so nothing to change there between the two. I run a 0.5* toe-out so nothing to change there between the two. 375lb/275lb coil overs, run that rate for both. Is there some compromise, probably but the car still s a blast.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Sleepless and AC427 are correct.. It is very subjective, and they are two different animals..

A twichy stiff car, a razor, will be great at autox, but at high speeds will be MUCH easier to upset. That is something you do not want in high speed sweeper turns. Effective track cars tend to be a little softer than their equally effective autox counterparts.

I vote that you set the car up to be predictable for use with track events first, and just drive it for autox events....with the possible exception of dialing in/out negative camber with the front CC plates when needed.

racebronco2

Established Member
I would do a search for dave shotz in the scca forums. If i remember correctly in the dry his front springs were steeda 1000lbs with a steeda 1 3/8 tubular front bar, max caster, max camber with koni da's. Don't remember the rear spring rate. He won the run-offs a couple of years ago in a mach1 in esp.

I run 6 degrees caster, 1/8 toe out and 2 1/4 camber all the time but i do use my car for weekend trips to vegas (about 300 mile away). I usually have to get my tires turned around once so that the wear is even acroos the tread.

Users who are viewing this thread