Question For Accountants - Property Tax Prorations Home Purchase

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Was just looking over some financials for a rental property we purchased back in May of this year and realized something didn't look right while I was doing a reconciliation. I know I've seen some great answers to other accounting/investment questions in the past here, so I though I'd see what you guys had to say about this situation.

On 5-16-14 we purchased a rental property. At the time of purchase, property taxes were already paid and current by seller, so we aren't responsible for another property tax payment until this upcoming September.
Now, at the time of purchase I didn't think much of it, but looking over the balance sheet from the closing statement, no where on that page did we reimburse the seller for pre-paid property taxes after we took possession- in fact, not only are our property taxes paid up until September by the seller, but we also received a pro-rated balance from the seller for taxes from 7-1-13 to 5-16-14 (a period of time prior to our ownership) - which lowered our closing costs by $1000.

So here's my question:
How do I classify these numbers on my general ledger?

The error I noticed is that back when I initially inserted the numbers into my software, I entered the $1000 as both a credit (since it was essentially cash we received off our closing costs) as well as classified it as a property tax (since it was pro-rated property tax). The result is that since I've yet to actually cut a check to pay any property taxes and because there weren't any reimbursements to the seller for pro-rated property taxes now that I own the property, it currently appears as though my current tax expenses are negative $1000.

So, now I'm trying to reconsider how I need to really insert this into my system so I can accurately reconcile the account.

My initial thought now is to still consider that as a credit (since I did in fact receive those funds off my closing costs from the seller), but to instead classify that as Misc. Income - but then, is that really considered income or is it really classified prepaid taxes?

Secondly, the seller has nearly prepaid 4 1/2 months worth of property taxes for me (since they're paid up until September and I never reimbursed them on them closing statement) in addition to the $1050 I've already mentioned that they paid me for July 2013 to May 16th, 2014 when we took possession. Since the seller has paid those 4 1/2 months worth of taxes for me, do I need to report that as income? And if so, can I turn around and also take that same amount and offset it as a property tax payment.

Hopefully this makes sense and thanks for any help you can give. I have a tax professional I use on occasion, but I prefer learning and understanding these things myself and I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
It appears to me that you are attempting to be too cute, by half. The taxes paid by the seller have nothing to do with you. All of your records start with to point of purchase, don't attempt a version of fraud for pennies. This is stupid!

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I was not attempting to be fraudulent by any means. Just wanting things to balance, and it wasn't balancing correctly and secondly, I just want to make sure that I inserted it correctly for presenting to my tax preparer. Otherwise, undoing the reconciliation is a hassle.

During closing, I still paid all normal closing costs, origination fees, insurance, and attorney fees plus down payment - all things accounted for in my accounting. Then Ive got this $1050 amount that we rexeived from the seller for taxes during a period we didnt own the property, plus an additional amount that we inherently received from the seller for another 4 1/2 months worth of our ownership. Having them provide the prorated taxes lowered our closing costs - and so not accounting for that money as received in one form or another would be more fraudulent I would think.

I'm wondering if I'm not being clear enough with my question...eh, I'll probably just seek my tax guy. Just thought I'd see if I could quench my curiosity sooner.

It appears to me that you are attempting to be too cute, by half. The taxes paid by the seller have nothing to do with you. All of your records start with to point of purchase, don't attempt a version of fraud for pennies. This is stupid!

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread