Question and info need about Tremec Magnum Shifters.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Some of you probably saw from my last thread that I ordered a Magnum and kit, what I need to know is, How good are the stock Tremec shifters, And I cant find what after market shifters are available with the correct position? I know American Powertrain has the white lightening shifter but Ive done alot of searching and cant seem to find any others.

I see on ebay a lot of stock (6 bolt)Tremec magnum shifters that are take offs, so im guessing they may not be that great?

Also there may be a possibility that American Power train is not producing the White Lightning shifter anymore for the mustang/magnum applications ---cant find them on their web site?

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
The stock magnum shifter is decent, i dont believe there is anyone making an aftermarket shifter for them at this time, mgw made one for a little bit but seems like it was discontinued

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FIREBALL

Established Member
Yeah, MGW has a shifter for the magnum XL but not Magnum with the 6 bolt pattern, I had bought a MGW for my 3650 but I didnt like how stiff it was and that you could only use their shifting handles. I then went with a Pro 5 which I love---if only there was a Pro 5 for a magnum.

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
Yeah, MGW has a shifter for the magnum XL but not Magnum with the 6 bolt pattern, I had bought a MGW for my 3650 but I didnt like how stiff it was and that you could only use their shifting handles. I then went with a Pro 5 which I love---if only there was a Pro 5 for a magnum.
Honestly its not that bad, it depends on the handle you put on it ive tried a few and i have a modified stock handle on it now that doesn't feel to bad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the tremec shifter isnt terrible but people do complain about the 2-3.

the white lightning is the only one I was aware of.

Also, if you do use the Tremec one I would replace the shifter mounting bolts with ones that have low profile bolt heads to avoid them hitting the trans tunnel.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Well if the Tremec shifter is a good amount better than the factory shifter that came in my car, I might be happy with it.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
After lots of searching I found this Silver Sport shifter, It comes in forward or rear position, the rear position fits our cars ( I think) going to call them next week. But I will probably try out the stock tremec shifter first, its just good to know there is an option.
SST STX TREMEC Magnum 6-Speed Bolt-on Performance Shifter - Shifters - Store

That sounds like a decent setup, little pricy but may be worth it. If you pull the trigger on this please let us know what you think of it and if it’s worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
After lots of searching I found this Silver Sport shifter, It comes in forward or rear position, the rear position fits our cars ( I think) going to call them next week. But I will probably try out the stock tremec shifter first, its just good to know there is an option.
SST STX TREMEC Magnum 6-Speed Bolt-on Performance Shifter - Shifters - Store

keep in mind with the magnum you've gotta drop the trans to swap shifters unless you do a lot of cutting on the trans tunnel

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, good to know. Guess that means no more pulling shifter to fill with oil?

nope...that's what I was saying about the shifter bolts, it's just a tight fit the bolt heads can hit the trans tunnel. You cant even get to the bolts to remove them and if you could theres no room to move pull the assembly up

pretty much the main/only downside to this trans imho

FIREBALL

Established Member
In some other threads Ive seen some photos of what needs to be cut , only about a 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" piece at the front of opening. While I never wanted to cut anything on my car including not welding my subframe connectors, I think if cut and finished off properly its not going to hurt anything and it will mostly never be seen. In one thread they talk about two casting tangs that stick out from the upper side of trans that has to be cut off, but others say they didnt have to?, Also there is mention that the mounting holes in the cross member supplied from D&D have to be enlarged ?

Users who are viewing this thread