question about the differential breather

Romans8:28

Established Member
Does the 03/04 Cobra have a breather hose on the differential? if so, then where/how does it terminate?

Can gear oil spill out of this breather? Where would it most likely spill?

Sorry for such basic questions, but with the current weather I don't want to mess with putting the car up in the air to look underneath

Last edited:

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
yes there is a breather and its on the top of the diff. It sort of looks like an upside down J that vents under the car. Gear oil can spill out I believe if its overfilled and would spill on the diff somewhere depending on how the breather is positioned

batfat

Established Member
I ran a new breather hose up into the spare tire well through a hole I drilled and a grommet. Ran the line around the spare, under the rear inner plastic and up and out through the plastic backing of the gas cap. This vents the diff into the plastic housing surrounding the gas cap. Any fluid would drain down the factory gas overflow drain line and out behind the right rear tire. I vent my battery box to the same lacation.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
04SLOBRA1 said:
yes there is a breather and its on the top of the diff. It sort of looks like an upside down J that vents under the car. Gear oil can spill out I believe if its overfilled and would spill on the diff somewhere depending on how the breather is positioned

Yes, But...

A more likely scenario for differential oil exiting the vent tube is due to extreme heat encountered during HPDE events. I have seen this happen a few times on IRS Cobra's.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
a 1/4" npt fitting fits nicely in the hole if you remove the tube the hose goes over. I ran a -6 line into the trunk that ends with a canton breather tank. i bolted the breather tank hold-down clamp to one of the taillight studs.

kenny brown's "kermit" had a rubber hose that ended in a used motor oil bottle. kwalitee, for sure.

Romans8:28

Established Member
follow up question.......

Could gear oil come out of the vent if the car was on a steep incline...... not hypothetically step enough, but rather a steep incline that could be encountered on a "real" road?

Reason I ask, is that I found evidence of a leak (one very small drop on bottom of cover)........ but it has been bone dry every since (two weeks later). All I can remember lately different is pulling out of a parking lot with a ridiculously steep exit ramp

Users who are viewing this thread