Question about storing a car for 3 years

SHOdown220

Established Member
A good friend of mine in the navy is leaving for Australia for 3 years, he wants me to take care of his car (2011 gt/cs vert) while he is away. Unfortunately there is no garage to put the car in, so it will be outside under a cover. He doesn't want a lot of mileage put on the car while he is away but knows it needs to be driven some so that it is ready to go when he gets back.

What would you suggest as far as how often and for how long the car needs to be driven, how often to change the oil, and anything else that needs attention while it is sitting.

Thanks for the help guys

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Honestly, it's probably better to just store it properly and leave it be. Cold starting engines is about the worst thing you can do to them. As a result, if the car is going to be stored for a very long time, it's almost always better to simply prep them properly and leave them alone.

What I would do is find the best protected place I could if I didn't have a garage or storage unit. I'd get an outdoor car cover and several jack stands.

Clean and wax the vehicle
change the oil and filter
Make sure the car is has a full tank of fuel (preferably without any ethenol) and add some Stabil
Top off all the fluids
Put the vehicle on jack stands
remove spark plugs and spray some oil on the tops of the cylinders, replace plugs
Remove the battery and store it
place steel wool in the tail-pipes
cover the vehicle and do your best to make it so rodents can't get in.

On the rodent side, a lot of people say that bounce dryer sheets placed on the floor boards, trunk and in the engine compartment will ward off wire and carpet eating mice and rabbits. While I'm not certain that is true or not, having the dryer sheets in the car is nice when you get back to it. The cabin won't be musty or otherwise have any "old" smells to it.

Once you're back to the car, perform an oil and filter change, top off or replace any other fluids as necessary. Reconnect the battery then go about firing her up. The first drive should warm everything up in the car, that means driving it for a decent bit of time.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Definitely take steps to keep rodents out as mentioned above. Kept my Camaro stored outside for only a year and some damn mice got in it and the glovebox and ate the title

ibleedblue65

Established Member
NON ETHANOL fuel. Best advice anyone can give you in this thread. Ethanol will destroy the fuel system of a sitting car in less than three years.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Honestly, it's probably better to just store it properly and leave it be. Cold starting engines is about the worst thing you can do to them. As a result, if the car is going to be stored for a very long time, it's almost always better to simply prep them properly and leave them alone.

What I would do is find the best protected place I could if I didn't have a garage or storage unit. I'd get an outdoor car cover and several jack stands.

Clean and wax the vehicle
change the oil and filter
Make sure the car is has a full tank of fuel (preferably without any ethenol) and add some Stabil
Top off all the fluids
Put the vehicle on jack stands
remove spark plugs and spray some oil on the tops of the cylinders, replace plugs
Remove the battery and store it
place steel wool in the tail-pipes
cover the vehicle and do your best to make it so rodents can't get in.

On the rodent side, a lot of people say that bounce dryer sheets placed on the floor boards, trunk and in the engine compartment will ward off wire and carpet eating mice and rabbits. While I'm not certain that is true or not, having the dryer sheets in the car is nice when you get back to it. The cabin won't be musty or otherwise have any "old" smells to it.

Once you're back to the car, perform an oil and filter change, top off or replace any other fluids as necessary. Reconnect the battery then go about firing her up. The first drive should warm everything up in the car, that means driving it for a decent bit of time.

This, but of course it's going to be tough to leave a car in one spot outside for 3 years.

If you have to drive it regularly, I'd say drive it once a month to get it up to operating temps. Change the oil once a year, non ethanol fuel with Stabil in it. Disconnect the battery between those monthly drives, keep the mice out, and get the best car cover possible to keep the sun out. Put a piece of plywood under the car which will absorb morning dew, but make sure that the plywood if off the ground otherwise it will just be a sponge. Also, when starting up each month, you could pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the motor over to circulate oil without the car starting, then replace the fuse to start the car.

You are a good friend to take car of his car for 3 years!

Last edited:

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Why doesn't he just sell it and buy new when he gets back?

This. In all honesty that car is a dime a dozen, nothing special. I see absolutely no reason in going through the hassle of trying to store it. Tell your buddy to sell it, take the small loss, and just save money while he is gone so he can pick up a new body Mustang or GT500.

-Eric

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
OP,

Just drive it to the store or something about once every other week. Dont do what people did in the past by just turning on the car and idling it for 10min and then turning it off. It needs to be driven so that everything still gets lubricated, bushings dont develop irregular soft/hard spots from sitting in one flexed position, etc.

As long as you arent expected to NOT touch it for 3 yrs then itll be fine.

Why doesn't he just sell it and buy new when he gets back?

He prolly owes more than its worth right now.

JerryC

Established Member
IMHO, make him pay the bucks to get a storage unit. You leave it outside that long it will be too big of a risk it will get F'd up. Esp being it's a vert.

Then decide what other advice to take.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I'm with the other guys. Storage unit or sell it. There are too many critters running around that will make a home in the engine bay, glove compartment, and seats, even if you drive it often.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

To clear up a few things he was looking for a grabber blue gt/cs vert and now that he found one for a good price he wants to keep it. It was everything he was looking for and doesn't want to sell it.

He's not upside down in it, the car has equity in it, he just doesn't want to see it go. Not to mention it will be here to drive when he comes home on leave.

Yes the navy will pay to ship it, but he said something about where he will be living the environment is very car friendly, not exactly sure as to why.

Now that is out of the way I'll take some pointers from the guys who posted advice on the storage, I appreciate the help everyone!

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I would hate to have it stored outside. Look for a friend that will help out or rent a storage unit.

tistan

Established Member
It doesn't matter if he is upside down or not. A car is going to depreciate regardless of if it sits or gets driven. It may depreciate more than that with the new mustang being released next year. I wouldn't throw $10-12k out the window just so a car was there when I got home. Sell it and let someone else eat the depreciation.

Users who are viewing this thread