Question about selling car

rdvenom99

Established Member
I will be selling my car this Saturday to someone coming into Illinois from Maryland. He's going to pay me and drive the car home from here. Is it a bad idea to let him use my license plates for the ride home? Is the bill of sale and title of the car enough to make it legal for him to make the trip back home without any plates at all? This is my first time selling a car to someone so far away so I'm not familiar. Thanks!

Lawman85

Banned
rdvenom99 said:
I will be selling my car this Saturday to someone coming into Illinois from Maryland. He's going to pay me and drive the car home from here. Is it a bad idea to let him use my license plates for the ride home? Is the bill of sale and title of the car enough to make it legal for him to make the trip back home without any plates at all? This is my first time selling a car to someone so far away so I'm not familiar. Thanks!

DON'T LET HIM USE YOUR PLATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is illegal and if he does something stupid, you will get a knock on your door and will have to prove you just sold it. The bill of sale is fine for him to transport it.

rdvenom99

Established Member
He said he can't get temp tags without the title and he won't get the title until he pays me.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Like everyone else said, do not let him use your plates.

In Florida you can transport the car on a title without plates.

In NJ, you cant transport a car on a title, it needs plates.

In states where you need plates the local DMV will issue temporary out of state tags so the vehicle can be transported home.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread