Question about S197 GT's vs S197 v6's

TungStang07

Established Member
Hey, how are you guys doing..well I've got a question, maybe you guys can answer this better than I can. I'm 18 years old and I've grown up around nothing but blue oval. Well right now I'm driving a 07' V6 mustang, 5 speed. I don't got much cash right now, so I'm limited on things I can do to her right now. but I've got a k&n drop in filter, as well as cut off exh. It's a ghetto way of doing things, but I couldn't drive it with out it making noise. Well back to my point. I've taken the car out to the street races in north Texas, and every time I line up with a gt mustang, of really any year, that have exh. work, intake. I tend to hang with them, side by side until the end of my third gear. Through first, we're side by side, and when I grab second, I put about half a car on them, than back to side by side, but when ever i lose, I lose by only a car, to a car in a half, in a length of about 1/8 of a mile. In the 1/4, they tend to get about 2 1/2....but from a 20 punch, till the end of my third gear, I'm right next to them...Why is this? And don't know if this helps you guys, but I've beat all Z28's from the 91-95 models..them, with minior mods. just wondering that's all...

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
I had a 97 GT for a while. It seemed really sluggish in the lower RPM range. Once I got up somewhere in the 3800-4200 RPM range is when it seemed like it came to life. That would explain why it would catch up to you and pass you. I haven't been in the newer V6 so I can't tell you much about it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Good thing you put this in road side. I cant tell you what I think.

TungStang07

Established Member
Yeah, that does make sense. I mean, they put out more power, and tq.. I was thinking maybe weight? But there really isn't much of a differnce in weight.

TungStang07

Established Member
Good thing you put this in road side. I cant tell you what I think.
no man, don't worry . I don't really care. do tell me what you think. I get a lot of shit, I mean, i'm use to it. the car was originally bought for my oldest sister, but she failed to make the payments, and i ended up getting it. the car it's self really isn't all that bad. In high mph, the car doesn't pull for sh!t, but down low it's really not all that bad. I'm graduating high school this year in may, and going to UTI at houston to become a mechanic, and after i graduate from there, I plan on looking into a 03/04 or a new gt off the lot...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
can't it is not in smackdown .. ergo I do not want to get an infraction .. seeing as how I have a relatively spotless record here ....

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
its a v6.. not made for anything but driving.

I hope you don't think a v6 is fast. And a 99+ gt will be you more then that. Must be the drivers. I mean, it is street racing

TungStang07

Established Member

I hope you don't think a v6 is fast. And a 99+ gt will be you more then that. Must be the drivers. I mean, it is street racing

no never said the v6 was fast was just wondering why the gts were barely faster my father owned a 03 with the kb pushing over 600 to the ground so i dont want to mislead you

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member

I will give the V6's some props. Go here and see some of the cars they have floating around over there.

They're still "slow" in a sense to me, compared to my first Mustang I ever had, but they are still decent when blown.

It would be a good site for you to get information, TungStan07. They cater primarily to the new V6 stangs.

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
oh. no doubt they can go fast. Just dont like it when i see or read people with stock cars acting like they are "fast"

sorry. just reminds me of honda owners or people who rate cars by crank hp or what they read they can get for mods

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
oh. no doubt they can go fast. Just dont like it when i see or read people with stock cars acting like they are "fast"

sorry. just reminds me of honda owners or people who rate cars by crank hp or what they read they can get for mods

Haha. I'm with you on that one. :thumbsup:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
they're nice cars, we had a 2005 v-6 coupe that got traded in for a 2006 gt convertible. the v6 had pretty good power but the gt just made more sense to mod.
i liked the v6 though

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
In a street race everything seems fast. Put it on the track with decent hook and you will see how much the difference really is stock for stock. The new v6's are pretty decent for power and because they are lighter it helps. As far as beating some older z28's...you make make just as much or hell even more than some of them with your car being stock. Add in a deent hook and a driver mod and the game changes. I street raced for years so ive seen people try to race anything and everything...hell ive even tried to race shit that shouldnt have been.

TungStang07

Established Member
I will give the V6's some props. Go here and see some of the cars they have floating around over there.

They're still "slow" in a sense to me, compared to my first Mustang I ever had, but they are still decent when blown.

It would be a good site for you to get information, TungStan07. They cater primarily to the new V6 stangs.

Yeah, I've seen some of the new v6's in MMFF and alot of them are blown. They can get pretty decent power.

281CJ

Established Member
If your hanging with GT's in a new V6 then it just comes down to you racing bad drivers, or cars that are very out of tune. A well tuned bolt-on V6 will run mid-high 14's (depending on tire, driver and track). They have nice potential, but are not really impressive stock.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
My 05 ran 13.65 bone stock when it was 2 days old.
It then ran 13.25 with an intake and canned tune.
It ran 12.95 with the same intake and tune on 17" BFG Drag Radials
I installed the Steeda U/D pullies and it went 12.85.
It then went 12.69 with JBA Longtube Headers and a catted H-Pipe
I then added 4.10 gears and it went 12.469.

This is only to show you what an s197GT can do with simple bolt ons.
There is a 3/10 ths difference with the addition of drag radials alone so it shows that most people probably aren't getting traction off the line.

I'm now running 11.42 with a S/C but I cannnot do better than 12.85 on street tires so again you cna see how important traction is.

1/10th = 1 car length.

TungStang07

Established Member
yeah traction does play a big role i agree and i love the s195 gts just that the car was originally bought for my older sister and i got stuck with it but i tend to hang with the gts off the launch if not beat them...is that not unusual sense it doesn't have posi rearend?

Users who are viewing this thread