Question about returnless fuel systems

HPLouis

Established Member
Are they turnkey? Are they the same as OEM as far as reliability, etc.? What about ease of use (i.e., no hard starting or cranking issues, fuel sensors readings, etc.)? I've been reading and I see a lot of complaints about them ranging from fuels smells, leaks, hard starting etc.

Anybody want to share their experiences with them? Thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Do you mean return systems? The stock system is returnless.

Hard starting has more to do with the tune than the fuel system. I'd say mine starts up pretty quick. The leaks probably have more to do with the quality of the fittings. I have a hunch that most of the complaints you see about leaks come from certain place that sells pre-made lines. Which I'm not a fan of personally.

Any smells usually come down to the type of lines used. The regular lines can weep a little and let the smell through. The PTFE lines don't let anything through. I've got two cars in my garage with dead head return systems made with PTFE lines and there is no smell out there. And both cars start up pretty easily.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my return setup is a lethal kit so Fore components from back around 2014 or so, PTFE system. My setup is NOT dead head and I have fuel vapor smell when the car has been at operating temp for a while. My air handler is in the garage so I usually park it outside for a bit before putting it in the garage. I cannot find any leaks, no vacuum issues, codes etc... theres no smell if it hasn't been driven.

I turn the key forward to prime the pumps while I put my seatbelt on and it's usually good to just fire right up after that. Personally I would stay returnless as long you reasonably can

HPLouis

Established Member
Do you mean return systems? The stock system is returnless.

Hard starting has more to do with the tune than the fuel system. I'd say mine starts up pretty quick. The leaks probably have more to do with the quality of the fittings. I have a hunch that most of the complaints you see about leaks come from certain place that sells pre-made lines. Which I'm not a fan of personally.

Any smells usually come down to the type of lines used. The regular lines can weep a little and let the smell through. The PTFE lines don't let anything through. I've got two cars in my garage with dead head return systems made with PTFE lines and there is no smell out there. And both cars start up pretty easily.
aww crap, my mistake. I meant return. Dammit, let me see if I can edit the title.

HPLouis

Established Member
my return setup is a lethal kit so Fore components from back around 2014 or so, PTFE system. My setup is NOT dead head and I have fuel vapor smell when the car has been at operating temp for a while. My air handler is in the garage so I usually park it outside for a bit before putting it in the garage. I cannot find any leaks, no vacuum issues, codes etc... theres no smell if it hasn't been driven.

I turn the key forward to prime the pumps while I put my seatbelt on and it's usually good to just fire right up after that. Personally I would stay returnless as long you reasonably can
This is what a lot of people tell me when I talk about modding. They tell me to stay with the ported blower (at 500rwhp) or go with a 2.3 Whipple with stock pulley and stop right there. Once I get to around 600, then I'll need a return fuel system and those are nothing but headaches.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
This is what a lot of people tell me when I talk about modding. They tell me to stay with the ported blower (at 500rwhp) or go with a 2.3 Whipple with stock pulley and stop right there. Once I get to around 600, then I'll need a return fuel system and those are nothing but headaches.

my system works just fine but I'm an OCD jackass and I hate having the fuel vapor smell.

There's that whole scenario to consider - how far do you really want to push it/what are you going to do with it? If it's just a street 600+ is already a handful and the more powerful it gets the less you get to really unleash it...lay on it for more than a couple seconds and you might well be getting bracelets over a ticket.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It all depends on your end goal. A friend of mine had a Whipple 2.3 for years and was happy with it. That blower with GT pumps, wire upgrade, 60lb injectos, and a bigger MAF made 580-590rwhp on 91 octane. The only real reason he upgraded is because I went with the 2.9.

As I've said in other posts, I love my set up where it's at. It's a handful, but I enjoy that handful.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Look at it like this, 96-98 Cobra's are factory return style. Maybe even other years too. So reliability is no different than returnless. Probably more reliable then 18-19 year old pumps in there.

Cheap lines will weep after time. I did the cheap lines, mine were fine for 6-7 years, after that, I started getting the fuel smell. I had to redo all my lines because I couldn't stand the smell driving the car. Spend the money on PTFE lined hose up front.

For years I tried staying returnless. Ran stock pumps with a BAP. Then went GT Pumps, no BAP, added -8AN feed.... all to redo it for return style later. Start getting over 620 RWHP, returnless gets hard to tune with good drivability.

I have no regrets going full return now. I have a custom made kit I designed. Dead head, -10 feed, -8 return, Division X hat with (2) 465 pumps. I am an E-85 all the time, I have a slight delay in cracking to start the car but nothing unreasonable. I turn the key, give it a second to fill the lines (you can hear when its ready) then I turn the key to start it.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I have Fore Innovations level 1 kit. No leaks. No hard starting. No fuel smell. I haven't had it long enough to give an opinion on reliability but the quality is very good.

If I was not planning on being 700w-ish on E I would have stuck with the stock, returnless system. I wouldn't upgrade unless you need to.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
HP, the fore systems are as good as it gets, great reliability, great warranty, and they stand behind everything

we have run them in about 8 shop cars, and hundreds upon hundreds of customer cars

stang910

Established Member
Return fuel systems are like any other mod. It can be just as reliable as the factory setup or it can be a nightmare. All the things you mentioned are problems with return fuel systems, but they can all be addressed as well.

Learn the pros and cons of different ways to setup a return fuel system and pick the one that best fits your needs.

Venom351R

Established Member
I have a Fore level 1 system on mine, starts fine no real issues to report but it's only been on the car for a year at this point

MG0h3

Established Member
Did mine like 4yrs ago. Hasn’t seen gas since. Sat for up to 6 months.

Maybe I should consider changing the fuel filter lol. Think it’s only been 6-8k miles

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread