Question about insurance

TR MACH

Established Member
Possible stupid question here about car insurance. I am currently 19 (will be 20 in March) and i drive a 2004 Mach 1 and have a clean record. My dad currently pays for my insurance but i will be taking over soon. Right now my insurance is ridiculous because i am under 25 and driving a sports car. My question is if I were to switch to a 94-98 cobra/gt would my insurance be any cheaper? Or will it not make any difference because it's still a sports car? What about a 99-02 gt? I have also heard that i could just not get full coverage and it will be somewhat cheaper. Any help is appreciated.

Prostyle

Established Member
Not sure what you are paying, but im 18 and have full coverage on my 98 cobra under my own name and only pay 131$ a month. Not sure if that is to high for you, but I didn't think so for a cobra and my age

DE07GT

Established Member
Anything with less horsepower should be cheaper. Usually an older car will be cheaper because it'll cost less to replace it. My 03 Cobra is cheaper than my 07 GT was, but I had to switch insurance companies because my old one wouldn't insure a "high performance" car.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Possible stupid question here about car insurance. I am currently 19 (will be 20 in March) and i drive a 2004 Mach 1 and have a clean record. My dad currently pays for my insurance but i will be taking over soon. Right now my insurance is ridiculous because i am under 25 and driving a sports car. My question is if I were to switch to a 94-98 cobra/gt would my insurance be any cheaper? Or will it not make any difference because it's still a sports car? What about a 99-02 gt? I have also heard that i could just not get full coverage and it will be somewhat cheaper. Any help is appreciated.

Price would possibly be cheaper due to being older and having less horsepower therefore being put in a different class of vehicle.

You can always call your insurance and ask them to run you a quick quote.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Just call the insurance agent :shrug: there are so many variables to take into account.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member

Full coverage is much cheaper than liability insurance, however if you have a loan on your vehicle you are required to carry full coverage.

Just call the insurance agent :shrug: there are so many variables to take into account.

This. They will be able to give you an accurate quote since there are many different factors that go into the rate.

Jefe

Established Member
Do you live at home? Is the title of the vehicle in your name or your mom or dad? Being that you are over 18 years old, the title should be in your name in case of lawsuits but if you still live at home and your parents and the state dept of insurance is ok with this, you could have the Mustang rated under your Dad and you rated on his vehicle. But only if your insurance company covers you guys under the same "insurance household" and they will cover you under any vehicle they insure

Problem with the high performance surcharge on insurance policies is that they are on almost all V8's, at least from what Ive seen. The older the vehicle the cheaper it might be, but it may be a difference of less than $20/month between a 10 year old car and what you have now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread