Question about Inspection

93VORTECH

Established Member
I live in New Jersey and just picked up an 03' Cobra over the weekend. I want to put Collectors Inspection on it. Do any of you guys/girls know the process for doing this? Do I have to get a letter from FORD stating it's rarity? And also was this process a PITA? Obviously these are numbered cars so I'm hoping this process would be painless. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sharppony

Established Member
You must have collectors insurance policy on the Cobra to apply. The process has changed since I put my Cobra on. I would go to NJDMV website to get latest info. I think that now you have to request it through main office in Trenton. If you have SVT Certificate that will prove rarity and collectibility to ease process. You will be limited to driving 3K a year on this program, you don't go through emissions at Inspection Station but they record mileage and verify that speedo works. Hope this helps you.

Sharppony

Established Member
Here is the info from NJ DMV website:

Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
Submit completed application to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680

93VORTECH

Established Member
Thanks so much man. Sounds good.

Here is the info from NJ DMV website:

Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
Submit completed application to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680

Users who are viewing this thread