Question about Gear Swap

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Just a question for those who have had a gear swap, how were the conditions of the differential gears? I'm dropping the car off on Tuesday for some 3.73s and upgraded clutch packs, and I'm curious as to whether I should have ordered a new set of spiders.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just a question for those who have had a gear swap, how were the conditions of the differential gears? I'm dropping the car off on Tuesday for some 3.73s and upgraded clutch packs, and I'm curious as to whether I should have ordered a new set of spiders.

I'm not sure, my car had over 100k when I went with the 4.30s. I had the entire rearend rebuilt (31 spline etc).

Last edited:

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
I will say that I just completely rebuilt the entire rear on my car. Found out the car already had 3.73s in it, and i put in new 373s lol.

Mechanic told me everything else in the rear looked 100% stock. I always thought it was stock.

If anything I would get the rebuild kit with new bearings and all

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Everything is going to be replaced except for the carrier, diff gears and axles. When I drop it off I'll just let them know if they see anything out of the ordinary to just go ahead and replace it.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
For now, I'm just going for a refresh of the rear end. Down the road when I upgrade the engine and trans I'll probably build the rear end for big horsepower

Users who are viewing this thread