Question about gas fireplaces

venmos1

Established Member
Im looking to add a heating source to my apartment. It currently has a kerosene monitor heater as well as a wood stove. At first i was hoping the monitor heater would be able to heat the entire apartment, but after a few cold nights ive realized it cant.

to be honest, i dont want to mess with wood again. our stove isnt that great, wood is expensive up here and i would rather have something with less work. So i was thinking a gas fireplace with thermostat and blower. But my issue is...i live in an apartment. so getting an exterior tank and drilling holes etc isnt possible. Could i (i know i shouldnt) run a tank inside for the winter? My thoughts are that it would make sense to invest in a gas fireplace since im looking to build or buy a house next spring. So i could then put it in the new house (correctly with an exterior tank).

Saw a couple at Lowes for around $450 with blower and had good reviews. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks in advance.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
You could get a pellet stove. At least that way you wouldn't have to add the gas lines.

007snake

mechanical music
Established Member
i have seen Menonite built electric heaters that are supposed to heat really well, some kind of new technology. I would think this is the only thing you could really put in an apartment by code.

https://www.heatsurge.com/

Last edited:

YJSONLY

Established Member
I am a propane guy I do this every day for a living. Do not do not put a tank inside a home! You are asking to kill someone!

venmos1

Established Member
Ive thought about a pellet stove. but def not possible in the apartment. gas would give us the ability to have heat if the power went out. I understand the issue with having a tank indoors. I really dont want to do that but was hoping technology would make it safer today. I will have to think of a way to run a gas line. thanks for the input

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
We have one in our basement, replaced a wood burning fire place. Was 5 grand installed but theres a ton of options for you to pick from, definitely worth it. You'll be happy with it.

YJSONLY

Established Member
The issue with putting a tank inside has nothing to do with technology. It not the gas appliance. It is the tank itself. In short if the tank pressure rises above the pressure relief valve or has a faulty pressure relief valve it will release gas inside the room finding an ignition source followed by a boom. This is why when a tank is set at a house we have to set a tank at minimum ten feet away from a source of ignition bigger tank father away. If I recall a 20 pound tank like on most grills will be like one stick of dynamite going off. So do not put a tank inside.

venmos1

Established Member
thanks for all the replies. i went around looking this weekend. Im now entertaining the idea of running an electric fireplace and will get a little wood to use incase power goes out. The ones i looked at were at home depot and lowes. At lowes they had a tri fuel fireplace that ran on propane, natural gas and electric. I liked this idea because it allowed me to use it as electric this winter, then when i move out of apt i can run a gas line. Couldnt find any reviews on it though.

I did see some that were visually attactive as well as had high ratings. Not looking to spend over $500 though. Thanks again guys

TX04WhiteL

Established Member
I've had two houses with gas fireplaces and in my experience they do not generate a whole lot of heat unless you're right next to them.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
My wife and I are looking to add propane logs to our existing fireplace - we don't have a gas source in the neighborhood so we'd be looking at having a tank installed behind the house and a line run up into the fireplace. We considered using it as a wood burning fireplace but when we had the chimney inspected they said we needed a liner installed at the tune of ~$4,000, so to hell with that.

We wouldn't be using it as a primary heat source - more or less just for when we have friends over to use it as a show piece for under the mantle.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Ok. On fireplaces.
There are two kinds vented and unvented. The unvented sends 40% or more heat out the flue. The unvented all the heat stays in the room. Unvented are safe don't let people tell you otherwise.

I will tell you this Empire makes the best log IMO. I have seen all types and manufactures. You will want a thermostat model with a remote to make life much better. You also want a refractory log too. It will be heavy like a brick vs a paper log with plaster on the exterior. They suck! The refractory does cost more but you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread