question about fix-it tickets. VA to be specific

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
First time posting here so excuse me if I leave out vital information or if I'm posting in the wrong section.

Early this month I was pulled over by a police officer in Prince William County, VA. He was standing in the middle of the road hand signaling myself and another car to the side. Reason being is because he "heard my car from far away". He didnt mention anything about speeding (which I wasnt anyways) but only that my car was too loud. The officer pulled out some window tint device and wrote me up for tint (30%), no front plate, and car being too loud. I'm fine with the front plate and window tint but my car being too loud? He did not have a decible reader or anything to measure or document how loud it was. My car passed emissions and the VA safe inpection just last month. Can someone shed some light on that?

I have to appear to traffic court in mid August. What exactly do I need to do and or bring?
1. Front plate fix is easy
2. Do I have to remove my tint and bring the car in? I've heard or people just bringing in receipts saying it was removed
3. I passed emissions, have cats/mufflers, nothing was documented on the volume of my car

Any information is appriciated

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Okay, answering your questions as a 15 year veteran of the VA State Police.

Front plate.... get one from Craig's Custom Brackets. www.ccmustangbrackets.com Mount it on the car and take a photo of it, print photo out and carry it to court.
Tint.... take photo of windows up with tint on, then a photo with the windows up and tint removed. Print and take both photos to court. In VA, tint on front side windows cannot be lower than 50%, and statute allows a 7% leeway, so, 42% or lower, you get a ticket.
Exhaust.... this can be tricky. State law say NO vehicle can be equipped with a muffler that emits more noise than the vehicle's factory muffler. An exhaust system will pass emissions and inspection without mufflers or with aftermarket mufflers bc the system, by inspection, is only required to be in good order without any leaks or defects. State law does NOT give any type of decibel level to stay under. You also cannot be made to rev your engine in order for an officer to measure, by any means, your exhaust decibels. Not sure if you are running stock exhaust or not on your car, but some type of proof would be needed in court for that also.

All this being said, in court, you can plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest in VA. If you plead guilty to any, then the judge will find you guilty, regardless of your evidence. If you plead not guilty, then it will be up to the officer to prove your guilt AND you will have the opportunity to ask the officer questions after he testifies. You will also be able to present your evidence to the judge. If you plead no contest, it is like a middle of the road stance between the two, and you should have the opportunity to present your evidence.

PAY ATTENTION to the judge's speech at the beginning of court! He/she will usually give out more specific details on how that particular court is run.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Regaurdless of what I plead does that mean I have to fix the items and go home or can I just pay a fine and not show proof of fixing the tint/plate/exhaust?

Honestly for the windows/plate I can provide proof of fixing but the exhuast part is tricky. I dont plan on bringing my car if I dont have to. And I am running full kooks exhaust with cats/mufflers. It's only somewhat loud because of the side pipes

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
No, you don't have to fix any of the issues at all. The tickets are all prepayable equipment tickets. None of them carry any points against your driver's license in VA. If you prepay the fines, you do not even have to appear in court, provided you pay the fines off PRIOR to the court date.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Regaurdless of what I plead does that mean I have to fix the items and go home or can I just pay a fine and not show proof of fixing the tint/plate/exhaust?

Honestly for the windows/plate I can provide proof of fixing but the exhuast part is tricky. I dont plan on bringing my car if I dont have to. And I am running full kooks exhaust with cats/mufflers. It's only somewhat loud because of the side pipes
just remember if you do this … and the same cop should stop you, you will be in for a world of hurt. he will not be happy … and consequently YOU will likely be very unhappy

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
i go to court for "fix it" stuff. as a life long Jeep guy, my vehicles always have some offending feature that lands me a ticket.

do as silver pointed out and provide proof of the "fix". be it a bill from a repair shop or photo of the corrected issue, in every single case it's been dismissed and didn't cost me a dime. i wouldn't remove tint though, pay it i guess.

last time i was in court the Trooper was busy talking with an attorney while the Judge ran through the B.S. tickets (dead tags, dead inspection, minor fix it stuff, etc..). Judge asked if i was in compliance, i replied to the affirmative, handed him proof and received my "dismissed, have a nice day".

i'm not sure about the exhaust thing...

this isn't going to help you now but may in the future: VA allows a little darker tint on the front windows with legit medical conditions. my wife has some vision / light issues and the doc actually told us about this. http://www.dmv.state.va.us/drivers/#medical/sunshading.asp

should be common knowledge but: dress appropriately!!! speak clearly and loud enough to be heard!!! appearance and clear speech will go a long way in court.

Users who are viewing this thread