Question about detonation

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
This Friday I installed a MAFia because my MAF Voltage was around 4.7-4.8. When I took it out that night to datalog and to make sure everything ran fine, the truck ran great at temperatures 60-65. When I took it out Saturday night at around the same temperature the truck ran great with no problems. However, when the temperature dropped down to 55 I had problems.When I was going WOT as soon as it shifted to 3rd gear it started detonating. :??: I lifted immediately and took it easy the rest of the night.

We put the MAFia to #2 because our tuner suggested it. Is it a mix of the MAFia being off and too cold weather? We have a conservative tune on the truck with the A/F being 11.5 flat, with 14-16 degrees of timing.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you get a custom tune along with it? If not then take it off until you do or get to a dyno or datalog so it can be adjusted.

No I did not. EDIT- My tuner did put a new tune on the truck, but it wasn't dynoed.
So the MAFia could be messing up my MAF Voltage readings?

Last edited:

Schmuckingham

Established Member
I have heard people say its like a marble in a tin can but i have NEVER head detonation before but i am sure my truck is doing it too, just cant hear it over my blower

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have heard people say its like a marble in a tin can but i have NEVER head detonation before but i am sure my truck is doing it too, just cant hear it over my blower

Detonation is often load dependant. So if you are running 50mph in OD and the engine is making boost (like going up a hill) you will often hear detonation there and should be able to hear it over the exhaust.

Schmuckingham

Established Member
Detonation is often load dependant. So if you are running 50mph in OD and the engine is making boost (like going up a hill) you will often hear detonation there and should be able to hear it over the exhaust.

got it

RX350

Established Member
i kinda thought it sounded like running through some gravel or a scratchy kinda sound. mine did it on stock boost runnin 91 octain under 55 degrees too. it only did it when it went into 3rd gear at wot.

Users who are viewing this thread