Question about car accident long long time ago.

icd_rob

Sonic Blue PGT
Established Member
Hey, first time posting in here. Just had a question about a particular situation that happened a long time ago - back in my early driving years.

It was super early, on my way to school. I was still in my neighborhood and I see a garbage truck pull to the side of the road to pick up trash. I slow down and drive passed him and as I get next to him, he pulls back onto the lane and smashed the passenger side of my car. The car is totaled and toast. Great.

We wait for an officer to show up, I take a few pictures while waiting, blah blah. A sheriff responds and checks out the situation. He tells me that he's going to write it as nobody at fault. Hmm, wonder if that's even possible, so I just say uhh okay.

A few minutes later, a supervisor for the garbage company shows up to take photos and talk to the officer. They talk for a while and he goes back to his car and I see him drive away. He comes back not even 2 minutes later and pulls me off to the side. He's like bud I'm going to have to write you down as being fault to the accident, I change my mind. I get mad and ask what made him change his mind. He said I had to investigate further and told me to leave it be. He said I shouldn't drive passed a garbage truck when he's picking up on trash duty, to wait until he turns onto a street that you aren't on. He said you cannot pass a car in a neighborhood. I told him there aren't any painted yellow lines or signs saying this and plus he was stopped on the side of the neighborhood road.

Did I get talked over because I was young? Since the police and the garbage pick up both work for the city, did that factor in anything? Him talking to the supervisor made the officer change his mind and I didn't know why or how that was fair. I don't know what sparked up this old story but I thought I'd at least share it and view another's opinion. Anything sketchy here?

flS/R

Established Member
you got the short end of the stick because you were young and they were hoping dumb as well. I hate hearing about this stuff happening to young people when they don't deserve it. In your situation, the trash truck was at fault for not looking before swerving back into traffic

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
It's hard to tell.

Does Indiana have laws pertaining to trash trucks and passing them? Was the truck established in the lane when you passed him? Did you cross into the opposite side of the road to pass him? Where did your vehicles come into contact? How did you take care of the ticket?(if you received one)

There are a load of questions that would need answered...but there's not a LEO on here that could tell you that you gut duped because you were young. (Unless the officer that did it was on here)

Might just want to let this one go. :shrug:

icd_rob

Sonic Blue PGT
Established Member
It's hard to tell.

Does Indiana have laws pertaining to trash trucks and passing them? Was the truck established in the lane when you passed him? Did you cross into the opposite side of the road to pass him? Where did your vehicles come into contact? How did you take care of the ticket?(if you received one)

There are a load of questions that would need answered...but there's not a LEO on here that could tell you that you gut duped because you were young. (Unless the officer that did it was on here)

Might just want to let this one go. :shrug:

Yeah kinda figured. I've let it go a long time ago, I just saw this section and thought what the hell. Not a huge deal anymore. Thanks for your help man.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Yeah kinda figured. I've let it go a long time ago, I just saw this section and thought what the hell. Not a huge deal anymore. Thanks for your help man.

Hey no problem...stranger things have happened that's for sure. Troof is that some folks just don't follow the rules and it makes our jobs tougher. Karma usually catches up with those folks eventually.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread