Question about brake pads

blue 07

Established Member
I want to change just the brake pads on my 13 GT500. I can't stand the amount of brake dust I get from the factory pads, especially from the front pads. I'm thinking going to ceramic pads to eliminate the dust factor, what brand should I buy ? I have the factory setup (Brembos) and don't plan on changing the rotors as of now. Any input would help. Thanks.

einehund

Established Member
I've been using the autozone C-max pads on all my cars for the last 10 years. No dust at all. Stops good on the street. I would not use them if you autox or do road courses.

Papaw

Established Member
I'm running the C-Max pads too and am happy with them. Very little dust and they stop just fine.
Autozone may not sound like a top shelf parts supplier but their C-Max pads are first rate.

blue 07

Established Member
^^^ Really, Auto Zone ?? I would not have thought of looking there. I was thinking more like Brembo, Hawk, Baer. I'm open to all suggestions...:??:

Last edited:

barspen

Established Member
Y'all sound like girls talking about your max(i)-pads... LOL!

Now that's funny :rolling:

^^^ Really, Auto Zone ?? I would not have thought of looking there. I was thinking more like Brembo, Hawk, Baer. I'm open to all suggestions...:??:

If you want to spend 3X, Hawk HPS or 5.0 work fine...I've run both. Low dust and very quiet. But for a street pad, you wont notice a difference.

When you start getting into HPDE\Autocross, pad choices become more complex since you might want an aggressive pad (high temp, lots of dust, noisy, stops on a dime) on the weekend and a quiet one (low dust, works good when cold, no noise) the rest of the week. I haven't found/tried a good "in-between" DD\race pad yet and to try it, you will need to fork over some $$. Give Van @ Revan Racing a call or talk to Ken at KNS Brakes for some more expert advice if you wish.

blue 07

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. Just going to be used as a show car and weekend driver, no track or autocross racing.
Now that's funny :rolling:

If you want to spend 3X, Hawk HPS or 5.0 work fine...I've run both. Low dust and very quiet. But for a street pad, you wont notice a difference.

When you start getting into HPDE\Autocross, pad choices become more complex since you might want an aggressive pad (high temp, lots of dust, noisy, stops on a dime) on the weekend and a quiet one (low dust, works good when cold, no noise) the rest of the week. I haven't found/tried a good "in-between" DD\race pad yet and to try it, you will need to fork over some $$. Give Van @ Revan Racing a call or talk to Ken at KNS Brakes for some more expert advice if you wish.

JDC81

Not on this car in particular but I've used the cmax pads in mine and in other peoples cars in the past and was really surprised. It's a very good street pad.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've been using the autozone C-max pads on all my cars for the last 10 years. No dust at all. Stops good on the street. I would not use them if you autox or do road courses.

What's the fastest speed you have really stood on the brakes with those C-max pads? At 180mph, I'd imagine you probably want to coast down slowly, and not incinerate the pads, by standing on the pedal?!?

barspen

Established Member
What's the fastest speed you have really stood on the brakes with those C-max pads? At 180mph, I'd imagine you probably want to coast down slowly, and not incinerate the pads, by standing on the pedal?!?

Absolutely agree. CMAX, HAWK HPS/5.0 or any ceramic street pads are not for high performance stuff. OP wanted low dust to replace OE and only a "show car and weekend driver".

Stopping at 180 would require a different line of thinking and pad setup. And a big set of cojones :coolman:

jml1521

Established Member
I'm looking for a little bit more of an aggressive pad for more bite stopping in the quarter mile but not an all out race pad. Was thinking of hawk hps 5.0 but there so damn expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Personally, ill never use anything from Autozone. Yes thats a personal preference.

Ive the got Hawk HPS pads and they are really good for street strip duty.10.0 seconds and slower. Faster than that you might need to go more hard core with your pad setup of you do a lot of passes.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
OP--you state you have 13 brakes. The Auto Zone pads won't fit. Jump over into the 13-14 forum to get the latest on ceramic pads for your brakes.

Tom

blue 07

Established Member
Not that stopping fast from 100 + miles per hour isn't going to happen (hahaha) but the idea is to get rid of the brake dust issue. Looks to be a slight difference in price between cmax pads and hawk and since it will probably be a one time thing since the car is driven only 2000 miles per year, I don't mind spending the little extra. Gotta get rid of the crazy amount of dust from the OEM pads !!

Users who are viewing this thread