Question about Amp cutting out in the car

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
I'm currently running JL Audio amps in my car. The Amp I have powering my components seems to be cutting out at times. If I lower the volume it kicks back on. Any ideas? Do I need a capacitor or maybe the amp is overheating like the fans are not working? Any help is appreciated.

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
Mine would cut in and out and finally just totally went out.

I checked all the fuses and it appeared my inline fuse enclosure came unscrewed and I guess the fuse burned out. I Changed it and all was good.

I'm not an expert and this may be unrelated, but it might be something worth checking.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Mine does the same thing. I always assumed it was because I didnt have the greatest ground but never investigated.

It would always cut out if I turned the volume up too high but would come back if I turned it back down.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
What is your voltage? What is the voltage of the lines in you all's cars??

If you have an amp, what are the voltages before and after the amp and where did you take the signal? It's likely that the amp is shutting off because the voltage is dipping to low or going too high. Most JL's will shut off with dip (even instantaneous) below 9.5v.

Does it happen while you're in park or while driving?

Last edited:

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
I think I need to add a capacitor. Havent had time to check the voltage but I am guessing that it would probably fix the problem.

CodyWayne718

Established Member
Capacitors are a waste of money. Do a little research on them before buying. Just trying to save you some money. What gauge wire did you use to run your amp?

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Id bet $50 that its overheating. Had that EXACT problem in my 97 cobra. I had the amp in the trunk and it kept cutting out (especially when it was hot out). So I just folded the rear seat down so the trunk was open to the interior of the car. With the air flowing freely into the trunk area it completely stopped cutting out.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Capacitors are a waste of money. Do a little research on them before buying. Just trying to save you some money. What gauge wire did you use to run your amp?
tsunami 1/0 gauge

Id bet $50 that its overheating. Had that EXACT problem in my 97 cobra. I had the amp in the trunk and it kept cutting out (especially when it was hot out). So I just folded the rear seat down so the trunk was open to the interior of the car. With the air flowing freely into the trunk area it completely stopped cutting out.

The only thing in my trunk is the two amps and being a vert I am limited.

Havoc37

Established Member
Most of the time its how the speakers are wired. If you have 4 ohm speakers and your amp is bridged to 2 ohms it causes amp clipping where it will stop playing and will come back on after you lower the volume. Double check polarity of your speakers by making sure your positve+ & negative- wires are matched up the same way. Also make sure you have a good clean ground on the amps.

CodyWayne718

Established Member
Wire size isn't the problem then! It's odd for a jl amp to cut out thou. Ohm shouldn't matter on the jl amps, I'm pretty sure no matter what ohm those amps are wired to they push the same amount of power. If they're wired backwards it will just cause them to play backwards, right? It may just be the gains set to high causing it to clip the signal like someone else said.

Planter

Banned
I'm currently running JL Audio amps in my car. The Amp I have powering my components seems to be cutting out at times. If I lower the volume it kicks back on. Any ideas? Do I need a capacitor or maybe the amp is overheating like the fans are not working? Any help is appreciated.

sounds like your amp is pumping too much voltage through your speakers and your speakers are cutting out to protect from being blown.

try turning down your gain on your amp some and see if this solves the problem.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a JL Audio 600/5 amp and on an even slightly warm day it would go into thermal protect mode. I added a pair of four inch whisper fans without a thermostat and now it never shuts off, even at high volume on a hot day.

Users who are viewing this thread