Question about a tune?

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
I installed my KB 2.3 last night to see how it would run on my tune I have in the truck now before I go get it tuned with the KB. I am supposed to get it tuned late this week along with getting 60# injectors and dual pumps installed. Well the truck ran, but once I got into 3rd and 4th gear cruising around 35-40 the truck felt like it was sputtering and choking. I'm guessing it has to do with the JLP Power Flow Sheet metal plenem and blower being added to the setup and messing with the MAF sensor. I have a SCT BA2400 and it was installed with the tune I have in the truck now. Any ideas on if I take my Xcal2 to the tuner and he adjust my tune for the larger injectors and larger plenem would work? I know people get email tunes so I am wondering it this is the same and would get me to the shop safely. It's about 45 min away.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You can't make the necessary changes with just the handheld, it has to be done via the software. The KB/JLP flows a TON more air than your previous setup so stay out of it until you get it tuned properly.

The sputtering is most likely due to the fuel trims being off in closed loop mode due to the larger amount of airflow, when I installed the JLP plenum I had to recalibrate my STFT's due to the added flow.

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
You can't make the necessary changes with just the handheld, it has to be done via the software. The KB/JLP flows a TON more air than your previous setup so stay out of it until you get it tuned properly.

The sputtering is most likely due to the fuel trims being off in closed loop mode due to the larger amount of airflow, when I installed the JLP plenum I had to recalibrate my STFT's due to the added flow.
I knew that was the problem. So answer me this... I talked to one of the guys at the shop I am going to take the truck to and he told me that I could bring the Xcal2 to him and he will add a tune similar to a friend of mine with the same setup and modify it so I could install the 60# Injectors and KB at the same time. And I can drive it up there to get the pumps installed and the final accurate tune for my truck. Is that possible to do?

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
morrison_205 said:
You can't make the necessary changes with just the handheld, it has to be done via the software. quote from fade.
Thats what I am saying. He will load the tune to the handheld and then I will load it to the vehicle.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If he can tweak the tune via Advantage and you trust him then go ahead. An email tune from your tuner would be just as good IMO. Some tuners don't like dealing with another's tunes.

Did you seal the plenum to the s/c really good? Some are prone to leak which can/does wreak havok on the a/f while in closed loop. Where are you going to get it dyno tuned?

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
If he can tweak the tune via Advantage and you trust him then go ahead. An email tune from your tuner would be just as good IMO. Some tuners don't like dealing with another's tunes.

Did you seal the plenum to the s/c really good? Some are prone to leak which can/does wreak havok on the a/f while in closed loop. Where are you going to get it dyno tuned?
Well I bought it used from a guy on here, and he got it from Proaudio but never installed it. It looks like there is a sealant inbetween the plenem and SC. I will be taking it to Fastlane Motorsports. www.fastlanemotorsports.us They do a lot of mustangs, but have done quite a few Lightnings including Silver2000svt from Raleigh and Crazycarl.

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Aight then, best of luck with it!
What is your setup? Also, is the KB with the JLP Plenem supposed to make that whistling noise at idle? I heard it when I installed it yesterday. Sounds like a paxton or pro charger setup....

Users who are viewing this thread