Quaker State Full Synthetic

RonShipman

Banned
I have been researching oils for quite some time and my conclusion is that Quaker State Full synthetic oil is the best oil on the market. Now that Shell have bought both Pennzoil and Quaker State the products have been improved greatly. Quaker State is the old Pennzoil Platinum without pure gas. Roughly it's the same. The new Pennzoil with pure gas is a little overrated , it's damn fine oil but kind of a gimmick. The reason they don't put the pure gas in the Quaker State brand because it would then compete with Pennzoil and they can't have that. Quaker State is to compete with Castrol GTX magnetic full synthetic (budget series) and Mobil Super Full Synthetic (budget series) but the fact of the matter is the Quaker State product is equal to Pennzoil if not even better and it's 21.99 at Walmart

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Locate the .pdf specification sheet of the formulation you are referring to for evaluation. Pro Tip: If the specification sheet omits NOACK Volatility, that's your first clue it's not anything special, and common off the shelf variety.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Locate the .pdf specification sheet of the formulation you are referring to for evaluation. Pro Tip: If the specification sheet omits NOACK Volatility, that's your first clue it's not anything special, and common off the shelf variety.

That's one thing I really like about Amsoil. They give you plenty of info about what's in the bottle.

Beernuts

Established Member
I wouldnt say its the best oil on the market, but QSUD is great oil for the price. I run it in my wife's 2.0L ecoboost.

QSUD.jpgQSUD2.jpg

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/quakerstatesyn.htm

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This test is now obsolete.

Pennzoil no longer uses the GTL base oil with low NOACK Volatility. Now in the 10-11% range with Ultra Platinum (with the exception of 10W-30)
Amsoil's NOACK percentages decreased from this test.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
This test is now obsolete.

Pennzoil no longer uses the GTL base oil with low NOACK Volatility. Now in the 10-11% range with Ultra Platinum (with the exception of 10W-30)
Amsoil's NOACK percentages decreased from this test.

Overall, is the new Ultra Platinum is not the same level of quality as the old Ultra? I know very little about this new natural gas base. I can't even get the UltraPlatinum at the local WalMart stores. The last change I did was with Platinum 5w30.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ultra Platinum 10W-30 shows a very low NOACK, like Amsoil. The other 5W-20 and 5W-30 for 10% or higher NOACK. It makes no darn sense to have a fluctuation like that. Scratching my head, just not knowing what to think about it.

Dashti

Established Member
2014 mustang gt with squeaking sound coming from the valve cover at rear passenger side only at cold condition ( sound like belt squeaking) any oil would help with the issue

RonShipman

Banned
I think the NOACK Volatility looks good on the Quaker State, but then again which weight of oil are they testing? look at the cold start up rating. Sure it's not up with Pennzoil Ultra, but isn't the old Ultra without pure gas? Of course that stuff was rated for Ferrari, but good luck getting it and it's still SM rating. Quaker is current on SN.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ultra Platinum 10W-30 shows a very low NOACK, like Amsoil. The other 5W-20 and 5W-30 for 10% or higher NOACK. It makes no darn sense to have a fluctuation like that. Scratching my head, just not knowing what to think about it.

Could be as simple as the bottling plant had a load of old formulation sitting around when they made the packaging change. Who knows when the tested bottles were filled.

RonShipman

Banned
I heard the new Quaker State durability full synthetic is the old Pennzoil Ultra API-SM, but with SN and a bit weaker/robust additive package, but beats most department store oil on the shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread