Putting a 97 Cobra engine with Vortech in a fox

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I have a frankenstang that is getting a full send build (@stangalang_tx on IG for full build photos) and a few months ago I found a 97 Cobra Vert locally for sale with a salvage title, about 80k miles IIRC, "built" T56, Vortech V1 with aftercooler, etc. and picked it up to swap the engine/trans/SC into my fox. The shell of my fox is a 1992 coupe that is currently getting sandblasted and the last few spots of rust/damage repaired before full show quality paint, T-Tops, this drive train, my 04 IRS, and full MM suspension.

There are a few questions I have about the 4.6 and I want to make sure everything is addressed while the engine is out. The car was kinda rough (roller already sold) but was advertised to have the following, some confirmed some not.
  • Vortech V1 supercharger, S/N 29521 V-1 CCW was first sold in 6/2003, and then in for a minor repair (new seals and bearings) and also a gear case & hardware 1/2019. (confirmed with Vortech)
  • Aftercooler setup (easy to confirm)
  • Long tubes (confirmed but rusty junk) will replace, are BBK ceramics decent quality? Any issue fitting on a fox with MM K member?
  • SCT MAF 2900 (confirmed but how can I tell what # injectors it's for?)
  • BBK twin 65mm TB (confirmed)
  • Stage 2 T56 from 04 Cobra built by Texas Drivetrain (no evidence to suggest it's not, but can't "confirm")
  • Stage 3 Mcleod Clutch (confirmed)
  • #60 injectors (highly doubt but how to confirm???)
  • Walbro 455lph fuel pump (FALSE, it had a 255 with no further upgrades or BAP and was starving for fuel above 5k)
  • Unknown brand COP conversion (confirmed)
We found a Dyno sheet in the car showing 447/403 to the wheels from Gearheads back in 2019.

Currently the plan is to remove the valve covers, timing cover, oil pan, intake, etc. and get it all cleaned up, all new gaskets and seals. We will get those parts sandblasted and painted or powder coated depending on the color choices. I will be running the Holley Terminator X EFI for it as well and it will get dyno tuned. For the fuel system I already bought an 03/04 Cobra style tank, Kurgan hat with double 455 and -8an feed and -6an return with Aeromotive regulator and rails which means I just need to figure out injectors. No clue what injectors I have, can you tell by color or markings cause they look pretty plain?

So with all that above, what are the must do things I need to look out for? I'm thinking for sure do a drivers' side head cooling mod, like I said before clean it up with new paint and gaskets, and I know I need new headers and X or H pipe.

Attachments

• PgVBT1H.jpg
    PgVBT1H.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 60

Adower

Established Member
Im pretty sure with BBK long tubes if you ever want to drop the tranny you have to remove the BBK's. That can be a headache in itself.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Im pretty sure with BBK long tubes if you ever want to drop the tranny you have to remove the BBK's. That can be a headache in itself.
Hmmmm, while I don't plan on needing to do that much if at all after, it's worth considering. Are there other brands that would fit my requirements that wouldn't require removal to service a clutch for example?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Is that still true with the t56? Seems like most cases I’ve seen if you drop the trans then the bell you get it out but not promising

Maf is not calibrated to an injector, computer will be programmed for the maf curve and separately for injector data

Might have to pull a injector to get a part number and be sure

I realize you’ve already got a good chunk in there but kinda surprised it’s not getting rods and pistons while it’s out.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Is that still true with the t56? Seems like most cases I’ve seen if you drop the trans then the bell you get it out but not promising

Maf is not calibrated to an injector, computer will be programmed for the maf curve and separately for injector data

I realize you’ve already got a good chunk in there but kinda surprised it’s not getting rods and pistons while it’s out.
I was used to the 5.0/fox world where the MAF is calibrated to the injectors to fool the ECU.

I think we will get the injectors flow tested, and upgrade if necessary (likely).

As for the bottom end, maybe, we will see what we find when we open it up and give it a once over. Honestly if I get 450 rwhp out of it I'll be more than happy as this isn't a drag car but I do intend to use it for Auto-X and possibly some track days, but mostly street cruising.

Adower

Established Member

I'm pretty sure that with BBK long tubes they must come out if dropping any transmission. Something the OP might want to 2x check.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I had a 4.6L 2V with a procharger in a 1987 fox. I ran a Holley terminator X computer. It had a T45 in it. I ran Pacesetter longtubes, MM steering shaft, fox manual steering rack, UPR K member, New Edge control arms/spindles/shocks/springs on the front.

Stifflers makes a good transmission mount.

I ran a sumped fox body fuel tank, external Magnafuel 750 pump, -8/-6 lines, Holley regulator, 60lb injectors. The Holley is speed density so all I had was a 3-bar map sensor.

If you have any questions let me know. Seems like you are on the right track with everything.

Last edited:

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I already bought the Stiffler's trans cross member and DS Safety loop, and already have a MM Hybrid steering shaft with a 2003 Cobra rack, full Koni MM Coil overs, MM K Member, and ATS Brembo's up front.

As for dropping the trans, I'm hoping to never need to do that once it all goes back together. That said, are there better brands/options? Is there something specific to the 96-98 B Head cars that require headers for that specific year or will any 96-04 long tube bolt up?

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I already bought the Stiffler's trans cross member and DS Safety loop, and already have a MM Hybrid steering shaft with a 2003 Cobra rack, full Koni MM Coil overs, MM K Member, and ATS Brembo's up front.

As for dropping the trans, I'm hoping to never need to do that once it all goes back together. That said, are there better brands/options? Is there something specific to the 96-98 B Head cars that require headers for that specific year or will any 96-04 long tube bolt up?
I believe any 96-04 4V Longtube will be fine.

My pacesetters need massaging. I would expect messaging for them to fit and be thankful if you don’t need to.

boost88

Established Member
Yeah any long tube fits. Pace setter is better priced fwiw. However I agree with the above they need a massage or 2. And if you buy them under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use the slip fit connector. Weld v bands on it while there out I promise you it's worth the 20 bucks on Amazon for some cheap mild steel v bands

Sent from my SM-G988U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
The BBK LT's are a good choice. With the T-56, you don't have to remove or loosen the headers to remove the transmission. You just separate it at the bellhousing and remove it as two separate parts. This can also be done with the TKO 500/600.

dan1982

Established Member
I got a question..... how much money did ya pay for the ford motor and how much money are u gonna put into it to get it reliably to 450hp and then do a show quality paint job?

bird_dog0347

Established Member
So would you guys recommend getting BBK's for the fit then changing the connection to V-Bands on them or keep the ball/socket setup? If I got the BBK I'd want the ceramic coated ones, but cutting and welding would ruin that so might make more sense to get non-coated then weld V-Bands then have them coated?

As for the costs, I got the 97 Cobra for $9500 running and driving. I sold off my 5.0/T5 setup for $3500 and sold the Cobra Roller for $3500 so basically the 4.6, T56, and Vortech setup cost me $3k ($500 to ship the Cobra to TN). The 4.6 setup had already Dyno'd 450 before I got it, so the plan is to do all new gaskets and clean it up, check for wear and replace/fix if we find anything but it seems to be in good health as is.

Obviously I'll spend money as needed to make it all correct as we are not doing anything half ass on this car. I expect my total spend on this build will be north of $50k at a minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread