(Put your detective hat on) need to troubleshoot a couple issues

JC-RH

Established Member
A bit new to this, but not to cars in general. I bit of guidance would be truly appreciated. Here’s some background (clues):

1) bought the car about 5 weeks ago with 50k miles. I have driven it 400 miles since then.
2) car came with AEM Air/Fuel failsafe gauge.
3) changed bad alternator about 2-3 weeks ago. Car has voltage gauge, and it been reading at about 13.5V ever since.
4) car has new yellow top optima battery
5) car has no cats
6) exhaust has a slight/moderate gas smell (only when running)
7) car exhibits a 2-3 second crank once in every 5–7 starts.
8) I cleaned MAF sensor about 3 weeks ago
9) cleaned and recharged air filter 3 weeks ago
10) air/fuel ratio has been consistent about 14.5 during idle.
11) car idles well at about 800 RPMs
12) I feel car is getting below average MPGs. I keep the RPMs under 2k, and I’m getting about 10-12 MPGs.

Two days ago I ran some errands. On my last leg, the check engine light turned on (code P2270). After a bit of research, I figured it was the lack of cats. I disconnected/reconnected the battery, and I have driven it maybe 40-50 miles without the light coming back.

Today I noticed my fuel/air ratio starts in the usually range upon startup. However, it starts to dip all the way to about 9.5 after a couple minutes of idling.

What can this be attributed to? Also, could I have a misfire that is contributing to the occasional slow crank times, poor MPG, and noticeable gas smell from the exhaust? I’m thinking spark plugs or coil maybe?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
You are correct on the trouble code. What kind of maf and what intake tube? If you over oiled the filter you may have contaminated the maf.

JC-RH

Established Member
The MAF appears to be the stock original one. The intake tube is a JLT Ram Air Intake.

There’s a possibility I might have gone a tad heavy on the oil. This was 3 weeks ago and about 200 miles ago.

JC-RH

Established Member
I went out tonight and the Check Engine light came on. I need to get the code read in the morning.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d also check the vacuum line to the fuel rail presssure sensor after it’s been running, if there’s fuel in the vacuum line the bladder burst and it’s need to be replaced along with an oil change

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You're going to get a gas smell without cats. You need to datalog and see what the O2 sensors are doing. The AEM might be off.

And rev it out man. Under 2k is lugging the hell out of that engine. All that's going to do is eat gas. For normal driving I shift around 3000-3500. Getting on the freeway I'll run it out to 4500 until I'm up to speed.

Driving like that I get 14ish around town. On E85 it's 10-11.

shurur

Established Member
I would watch fuel pressure when she is having trouble starting or under-performing.

JC-RH

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I cleaned out the MAF this morning, and it has cranked fine a handful of times since then.

The code I got yesterday was P2270 (again). Since this is the second time in a few days, I’m guessing I’ll have to get one of the sensors replaced, correct?

big dad

Established Member
The check engine light will come on after 2 fails in the system it is checking, that can and does fool people, so that's a normal function.

My advice would be to source the cat H-pipe and replace the off-road pipe, either that or install cat eliminators which I'll bet will be hard to find currently. Btw, those rear sensors are referred to as cat monitors, they even have a different part number then the upstream 02 sensors, 9F472 for the fronts and 9G444 for the monitors. I'm pretty sure those numbers are correct because I was a driveability tech for Ford but I'm retired now thank God for the last 12 years.

Users who are viewing this thread