Push your clutch pedal all the way to the floor....

lguerra1

Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
If you are sure the problem is in the linkage I'll take your word for it......But please tell me why all current pressure plates have been yanked off of ford part system? Also please explain why I have seen 4 pressure plates where some fingers had different reaches than others. :shrug:

They could have been yanked for many reasons. Customer complaints of stiff pedal, etc., etc., etc.,

As for the fingers on the plate, you can take a brand new one and find differences between them. It has been that way for years, so don't think that will ever change.

The current clutch and plate is not a bad setup. It actually holds quite well. The premature failures are usually because it is not being adjusted properly with wear. IE. clutch quadrant.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by lguerra1
They could have been yanked for many reasons. Customer complaints of stiff pedal, etc., etc., etc.,

As for the fingers on the plate, you can take a brand new one and find differences between them. It has been that way for years, so don't think that will ever change.

The current clutch and plate is not a bad setup. It actually holds quite well. The premature failures are usually because it is not being adjusted properly with wear. IE. clutch quadrant.

You may very well be right......

I would not be suprised if ford did come out with a updated part for the linkage or fork. It could even be the angle the fork is at ......:beer:

I am just glad it is being looked into.....

Aftermarket my very well be an option if the problem is not addressed soon.

It is just to bad I recently sold an adjustible clutch cable and quadrant I never used

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
So how oftn should you do the "clutch foot pull it up" adjustment? I have 5000 miles, did the adjustment once (but I don't know if it did anything) and I've had zero problems with the clutch, tranny, etc...

Wraith_Cobra

Established Member
The quadrant is designed to take up the cable slack with regular use. Pulling up on the pedal resets the quadrant and when the pedal is slowly pushed back down the slack is taken up again. If the pedal is slamed to the floor or if the cable is not moving properly, the quadrant will sometimes adjust out slack that really isn't there putting extra tension on the cable. This is corrected by pulling up the pedal and reseting the quadrant. Forcing the quadrant to take up a bit of extra cable is what some people are doing to get a better clutch feel. They are manualy forcing the quadrant one or two clicks tighter. The quadrant adjuster is pretty simple, take a look up under the dash, move the pedal and you'll easily see how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread