**UPDATED** Potential Problem! | Purple Mattress

Zemedici

Established Member
My god waking up sweating is the worst feeling isn't it?

ugh.

Thanks for the info, U.M.! Getting into a house very soon and will need a new bedroom set. The mattress we have i'm 'going to put in the guest bedroom' so we can get a new one, as I'm not a fan. :)

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I remember the controversy surrounding them when they sued a "supposed" YouTube reviewer who had raised issues with possible health hazards from some of the polyethylene dust on the mattresses left over from manufacturing.

Turns out the reviewer was in cahoots or something with another mattress company.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Just wanted to revisit this thread and make an update.

Wife and I are still really enjoying our Purple 4. However we learned a valuable lesson this past weekend. If you are a "hot" sleeper like I am you'll want to use the Bamboo sheets Purple offers for their mattresses. Yes they are expensive, but what's $130 for sheets/pillow cases when you just dropped $3600 on a mattress!? We bought a couple sets of these sheets at the same time we ordered the mattress. I've never had material of any type made out of bamboo before, but was told it was the bees knees. We immediately loved the sheets as soon as we took them out of the package. They are very soft and super stretchy with DEEP corner pockets. So we've been swapping between the two sets of sheets since the mattress arrived. Well this past weekend the wife decided to throw an older set of cotton sheets on the bed. That night we both were sweating!! Seems the cotton sheets do not allow air to pass through them and subsequently circulate through the hyper elastic polymer grid inside the mattress! So just a word of caution for all of you hot sleepers looking at trying out one of these newer Purple mattresses. Get the bamboo sheets too!!!!

U.M.

Just ordered our King Purple 3 today.

Currently sleeping on an iComfort Savant. Although it’s been a great mattress for the last 5 years, it’s not firm enough for my liking and doesn’t help with my shoulder and back pain.

How is the mattress holding up U.M.?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Just ordered our King Purple 3 today.

Currently sleeping on an iComfort Savant. Although it’s been a great mattress for the last 5 years, it’s not firm enough for my liking and doesn’t help with my shoulder and back pain.

How is the mattress holding up U.M.?
The Mrs. and I are still enjoying our Purple mattress. Seems to be holding up just fine. We did find a small hole in the middle of one of the bamboo sheets we bought. No idea how that happened though. However those bamboo sheets are quite thin, but they breath so well it makes for a very comfortable sleep.

U.M.

allister

Established Member
I have been looking at the Purple, Casper, Tuft and Needle...etc I am curious if you looked at all of the options and what made you choose Purple?

Hate our current Serta iSeries pillowtop. Super cozy in the store. A few weeks and it started sagging. Switched it per their free trial for a firmer one to avoid the sagging, dang thing still sags. The sagging is just shy enough to not use their 10 year warranty or whatever.

So I'm kind of nervous to get one that has even more foam. We're not super big people (140, 160 lbs). I like firm, I like pillowtop, miss my old cheap memory foam from big lots, really not super picky just want something with support and will stay that way for at least a few years.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
I have been looking at the Purple, Casper, Tuft and Needle...etc I am curious if you looked at all of the options and what made you choose Purple?

Hate our current Serta iSeries pillowtop. Super cozy in the store. A few weeks and it started sagging. Switched it per their free trial for a firmer one to avoid the sagging, dang thing still sags. The sagging is just shy enough to not use their 10 year warranty or whatever.

So I'm kind of nervous to get one that has even more foam. We're not super big people (140, 160 lbs). I like firm, I like pillowtop, miss my old cheap memory foam from big lots, really not super picky just want something with support and will stay that way for at least a few years.

My father had a mattress made with memory foam and I hated it! Didn't like the foam at all and it just did not breath. Anytime we stayed at my parents house I ended up sleeping on the floor otherwise I would sweat like a pig all night long. We chose the Purple series because even though it does have a layer of foam sandwiched in the middle and foam around the outside edge, the part you actually lay on is made up of that special elastic polymer. Additionally it has a coil spring base. So it's radically different than any of those other brands you've mentioned.

I weigh 235 and my wife is barely over 100 lbs. Even though we opted for the Purple 4 (softest) it doesn't feel as soft as a standard high end pillow top. If you're looking for a bit firmer feel I suggest getting the Purple 3 or even the 2.

Order one and give it a try! You can always have them come pick it up and get a refund if you're not satisfied.

U.M.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Houston, we may have a problem....

So right around the time I made that last post (27 Nov) I started having some pain in my back. However after using my Purple mattress without issue for more than 100 days now I never thought it might be the mattress. The pain felt very similar to a kidney infection if you've ever had the pleasure of one of those. So I made an appointment for the doc and had them run some labs on me. No kidney infection found. So just for S & G's I slept in the spare bedroom for a couple nights. Pain disappeared. So I went back to my Purple bed and the next morning the pain was back. Switched to the spare bed for a night again and no morning pain. Back to the Purple and I have pain in the morning. The thing is the bed still feels VERY comfortable when you lay in it and I always fall asleep really fast in it.

So I sent off an email to Purple and told them I thought my Purple 4 may be too soft. I admitted I was a couple weeks past the 100-day in home trial period. I asked if it was possible for me to downgrade to the Purple 3 or even the Purple 2 and I would eat the cost difference and pay for shipping both ways. I was told no, they are very firm on the 100-day return policy. However the customer service rep said there's a chance my mattress may have a manufacturing defect. In fact, their exact words were,

"It is possible the mattress you received is experiencing a warranty issue, I sincerely apologize for that!

We have a test available for customers to do to help us see exactly what they are experiencing and find ways to ensure it does not happen to future mattresses. All you need to do is find items similar in height and weight and place them on your mattress in a line so we can see the indentation. I have attached a photo below to help you see what we are looking for.

If you have any questions about the process, please let me know!! Thanks in advance!"

purple_problem.png

Hmmmm.... Okay let me go get some 1-gallon jugs of water and try this test for myself. Here are my results:

bed.JPG

So it appears the middle of the mattress has begun to sink in a bit, but this is not evident to the naked eye. The wife and I decided to "switch sides" for a couple nights. It helped a little bit and I can definitely tell a difference while laying on my wife's side of the bed. My wife also noted that she is being pulled towards the center of the bed when she's laying on my side. Of course when the bed is stripped and you look at the surface it looks completely flat. No visual indications there's a problem.

So I sent the picture of my test results to their customer service folks and am waiting on a reply. I'm a bit concerned that if they do send me a replacement mattress it won't be a brand new one. I'll bet they send one that was a 100-day or less return by someone else. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not gonna get mad just yet even though I have over $4K invested in this setup (mattress, base, pillows, sheets, and mattress cover). I'm hoping this is a manufacturing defect and a replacement will be sent which rectifies the issue. I still stand by the fact that for the first 100 days this mattress was outstanding and I slept like a rock.

U.M.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member

So right around the time I made that last post (27 Nov) I started having some pain in my back. However after using my Purple mattress without issue for more than 100 days now I never thought it might be the mattress. The pain felt very similar to a kidney infection if you've ever had the pleasure of one of those. So I made an appointment for the doc and had them run some labs on me. No kidney infection found. So just for S & G's I slept in the spare bedroom for a couple nights. Pain disappeared. So I went back to my Purple bed and the next morning the pain was back. Switched to the spare bed for a night again and no morning pain. Back to the Purple and I have pain in the morning. The thing is the bed still feels VERY comfortable when you lay in it and I always fall asleep really fast in it.

So I sent off an email to Purple and told them I thought my Purple 4 may be too soft. I admitted I was a couple weeks past the 100-day in home trial period. I asked if it was possible for me to downgrade to the Purple 3 or even the Purple 2 and I would eat the cost difference and pay for shipping both ways. I was told no, they are very firm on the 100-day return policy. However the customer service rep said there's a chance my mattress may have a manufacturing defect. In fact, their exact words were,

"It is possible the mattress you received is experiencing a warranty issue, I sincerely apologize for that!

We have a test available for customers to do to help us see exactly what they are experiencing and find ways to ensure it does not happen to future mattresses. All you need to do is find items similar in height and weight and place them on your mattress in a line so we can see the indentation. I have attached a photo below to help you see what we are looking for.

If you have any questions about the process, please let me know!! Thanks in advance!"

View attachment 1534210

Hmmmm.... Okay let me go get some 1-gallon jugs of water and try this test for myself. Here are my results:

View attachment 1534211

So it appears the middle of the mattress has begun to sink in a bit, but this is not evident to the naked eye. The wife and I decided to "switch sides" for a couple nights. It helped a little bit and I can definitely tell a difference while laying on my wife's side of the bed. My wife also noted that she is being pulled towards the center of the bed when she's laying on my side. Of course when the bed is stripped and you look at the surface it looks completely flat. No visual indications there's a problem.

So I sent the picture of my test results to their customer service folks and am waiting on a reply. I'm a bit concerned that if they do send me a replacement mattress it won't be a brand new one. I'll bet they send one that was a 100-day or less return by someone else. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not gonna get mad just yet even though I have over $4K invested in this setup (mattress, base, pillows, sheets, and mattress cover). I'm hoping this is a manufacturing defect and a replacement will be sent which rectifies the issue. I still stand by the fact that for the first 100 days this mattress was outstanding and I slept like a rock.

U.M.
I don't think, legally, they can send you a used mattress.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

BRNG ITT

Established Member

View attachment 1534210

View attachment 1534211

U.M.

Thanks for the PM and update.

We’ve been on our Purple 3 for 3 nights now and love it so far.

I will be trying the water jug test and do so on a regular basis to document the change over time.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
I will be trying the water jug test and do so on a regular basis to document the change over time.
Something I noticed when setting the gallon jugs on the mattress. I had difficulty getting them to stand up!? I would place the first jug on the bed and it would tip over onto its side. It's almost as if something deep inside the mattress has failed/collapsed. You should be able to place a 1-gallon water jug anywhere on the mattress and it should stand up on its own.

The warranty office at Purple is supposed to be contacting me on Monday.

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry that your Purple Mattress hasn't worked out for you. We were looking at new mattresses in October/November. Considered a Purple, Leesa and other similar mattresses but just didn't like anything foam based. We ended up buying an Aireloom Somerset Firm King Mattress with dual adjustable base. Wasn't cheap, but we love it. I haven't slept so soundly in years. I hope Purple Mattress takes care of your issues with no hassle. Sounds like it's going in that direction.

the 1st SlowGT

Established Member
We tried a queen Casper earlier this year and it was a bit too firm. All odor was gone after 2-3 days Their 'return' process had us donate the mattress to a local 501c non-profit and provide Casper with the documentation to receive a full refund. No hassles whatsoever.

We've had a queen Nectar since early March. It gassed off for a lot longer than acceptable but we were too busy too deal with it at the time. I'm guessing being Made in China had something to do with this. I think it was sometime in May or June until I realized the odor was gone. The firmness is near perfect for me (back sleeper, 5-10, 160#). However, it's already developed a pocket on my side. It's not enough to meet their 1" indentation requirement but it's enough to be annoying. Certainly unacceptable for such a new mattress. I just sent a return request on Friday. We'll see how that goes.

Current shopping favorites are the Purple Original and the Loom & Leaf relaxed firm.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
We tried a queen Casper earlier this year and it was a bit too firm. All odor was gone after 2-3 days Their 'return' process had us donate the mattress to a local 501c non-profit and provide Casper with the documentation to receive a full refund. No hassles whatsoever.

We've had a queen Nectar since early March. It gassed off for a lot longer than acceptable but we were too busy too deal with it at the time. I'm guessing being Made in China had something to do with this. I think it was sometime in May or June until I realized the odor was gone. The firmness is near perfect for me (back sleeper, 5-10, 160#). However, it's already developed a pocket on my side. It's not enough to meet their 1" indentation requirement but it's enough to be annoying. Certainly unacceptable for such a new mattress. I just sent a return request on Friday. We'll see how that goes.

Current shopping favorites are the Purple Original and the Loom & Leaf relaxed firm.
I have a Loom and Leaf...very happy so far.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Unfortunate that you're having issues, but from the pictures it looks like you should be covered due to the defect.

I promised my wife to get a whole new bedroom setup when we bought our new house. Went with a sleep number with the adjustable base. It was very pricey, but 18 months later I have no regrets. It's a lot to swallow upfront, but my wife and I have such large firmness differences that it was the best option for us. 85 for me and 15 for her.

jmsa540

Established Member

View attachment 1534210

View attachment 1534211

U.M.
Goodness..4k?

My tulo queen was less than 800 with a box spring, sheets, pillie cases and shipping.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread