Pulling Motor - What to do while it's out?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Okay, so a few of you may have come across this thread a few months ago:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...gine-started-knocking-this-morning&highlight=

Well, since then, I've only started the car a handful of times to move it in and out of the garage, hasn't been on the road since. I was originally going to take it to one of two local performance shops to see what they could do with it, but I have since decided to pull the motor and transmission on my own, remove both valve covers and the timing cover, and see if there is something blatantly loose or worn that I can fix on my own.

My question is, while the motor and transmission are out, what are some things that make sense for me to take care of? So far, my list is:

-Fix (or have fixed) whatever is causing the knocking/tapping (timing kit, etc.)
-Powdercoat valve covers and replace all seals
-Spark plugs
-New timing cover gasket kit
-EGR delete & install MAC longtubes
-Clutch kit & flywheel (replace or resurface)
-Clean/re-oil filter on JLT
-Clean firewall and engine bay overall
-Head cooling mod, maybe?

Any other suggestions? Am looking to pull the engine & transmission later this fall.

Thanks.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Likely will do anyway but new motor mounts? Broke a stock one with a procharger installed.

From what I am told, now would be the time for LT's. Heard much easier to simply bolt in then bring engine in from the bottom. saw you are thinking MAC....

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I replaced the motor mounts when I swapped in a PA Racing k-member a few years ago, they have well under 10k miles on them so they're good to go.

As for the MAC's, yeah, I've had them up in the attic for a while so they're definitely getting installed. They're a used set and the ceramic coating seems to be in pretty good shape, although I'm tossing around the idea of just having it redone when I get the valve covers powder coated.

Anyone else want to chime in and add something to my list that I may want to go ahead and take care of?

Users who are viewing this thread