Pulling a 4.6

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
We are pulling the 4.6 out of Kyle's 98 GT vert. I have heard from a few people they are hard to take out from the top and that it's easier to drop them out of the bottom. Has anyone every pulled one out through the top? Did you have any problems? Any input would be great guys.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I'll Try to find the write up on the registry Molly. There's definitely some 'key notes' when pulling it that make it easier....I just can't recall them right now.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I'll Try to find the write up on the registry Molly. There's definitely some 'key notes' when pulling it that make it easier....I just can't recall them right now.

Thanks that would be really helpful. We may have it pulled somewhere just because we really don't have a good place to do it. I just want to know what our options are right now. :beer:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
That is definetly helpful. I would much rather do it through the top but Kyle was saying he heard it was easier to drop it down.

Since my dad owns a machine shop we have everything we need to get it out through the top, however we don't have a hoist so that's where the problem lies with getting it out the bottom.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
That is definetly helpful. I would much rather do it through the top but Kyle was saying he heard it was easier to drop it down.

Since my dad owns a machine shop we have everything we need to get it out through the top, however we don't have a hoist so that's where the problem lies with getting it out the bottom.

Glad it helps.

Can you life the car high enough/correctly to pull it out though? ALso, are you doing the tranny and the motor? If it's just the motor, it shouldn't be more of a hassle out the top. :shrug:

Drop the K-member, unbolt the tranny, then yank that SOB. ROFL

:beer:

So, what's his plans? rebuild or all new? or 'shooosh' secret?lol

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I think we are gonna try to pull it out the top, we are better equipped for that. It's gonna be a bitch, but that's alright.

I wish this was for pleasure lol. It spun a rod bearing, so it will be a stock rebuild.

I looked into having someone pull it and strip it to the long block for us but it will be over 1000 bucks, which is about right. 20-22 hours. I think it would be much better cost-wise for us to do it ourselves even if it takes longer.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Plans are pull it, and rebuild it cause it has rod knock. Then sell it.

If we were gonna build a car it would be Mollys. I wouldn't build a two valve unless I was crazy. Rather have a lopey 347 or 331 than my car.

And I think Molly is a little confused. Her dad does have a hoist. Just not a lift

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Plans are pull it, and rebuild it cause it has rod knock. Then sell it.

If we were gonna build a car it would be Mollys. I wouldn't build a two valve unless I was crazy. Rather have a lopey 347 or 331 than my car.

And I think Molly is a little confused. Her dad does have a hoist. Just not a lift

lol sweetie I posted that already.

And yes, we will build mine. Much better potential. :beer:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
That's cool. My GF loves yellow cars, too bad the timing wasn't better as she wants a Vert, but she's not ready to get one within the next 8-12 months. She also prefers the new edges.

I'd build up an SN95....PI swap with an ATi P2sc....that'd be a nice DD IMO. But that's me.

Oh and no worries, I kind of figured she meant you have access to a hoist. Sorry to hear about the rod. If you can swing it....toss in a Forged stroker. If you can do it, it may make for a quicker sale. :shrug:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
We just want to get it fixed and sold lol. I just can't sell someone a car with this kind of a problem, I would feel terrible. I actually like this car the more I drive it but it's soooo loud...I don't really like the sound of it all that much. I like the sound of mine much better. :)

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
We just want to get it fixed and sold lol. I just can't sell someone a car with this kind of a problem, I would feel terrible. I actually like this car the more I drive it but it's soooo loud...I don't really like the sound of it all that much. I like the sound of mine much better. :)

Nope it's cool........I wish more people would do that. You know, be honest about what you're selling, doing. :beer:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
The rod isn't spun. It's just got a little extra clearance. It ticks pretty audibly above 1700 rpms when it's warm, but not at idle, and not when they're is a good amount of load on it.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
The rod isn't spun. It's just got a little extra clearance. It ticks pretty audibly above 1700 rpms when it's warm, but not at idle, and not when they're is a good amount of load on it.

Gotcha. You sure that's it and not something else? Guess we'll see when you guys tear into it. HOpefully it's something 'easy'. :beer:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Gotcha. You sure that's it and not something else? Guess we'll see when you guys tear into it. HOpefully it's something 'easy'. :beer:

Nah, it's a rod bearing for sure. It's only a matter of time before it is spun though, it's got a LOT of extra clearance.

My dad diagnosed this. He is amazing at that. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread