Pulley Install Problem. Need HELP!!!

Reaper6193

Established Member
So went to remove my pulley yesterday and install my 2.5 billet pro sc pulley. Put on the tool and it popped rite off. So then went to install the new one and press it. The tools thread to reinstall the new pulley didn't bite in my snout to press it. So called up revan racing. Didn't have Didn't oven, so got the torch and rubber mallet out. After 2 hrs of heating and hammering almost got it pressed on. So my question is I have about 1/2-1 centimeter left until its fulley pressed and flush but the torch and hammer wasn't doing it anymore. What would u guys recommend to get this pain in the ass fully pressed and flushed on? Thanks it appreciated.

fullboogie

Established Member
I would recommend the right tool so you don't ruin the pulley and/or blower.

Reaper6193

Established Member
That's thing though, the supposedly right tool didn't fit my snout. That's y im posting this thread

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Let me clarify the problem, vmp puller was used. For removal the half threaded/half bare screw is used for removal. For the install the double sided screw is used, one end threads into big nut, the other end threads into the snout. For some reason the screw wouldn't thread into Reapers snout. Without the.threaded screw in.the snout the.big nut just.spins and.wont press the pulley on.

I'm surprised how far we got on going cave man.style on it. Only thing I think of to press it on that last little bit is to.try some different double sided screws, ideas anyone?

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Whoever you got the tool from, I would call them and question why the tool would not allow you to press the pulley on and perhaps get the proper part. Hammering a pulley on does not apply force equally to the pulley for it to go on straight! Wouldn't be surprised if the shaft and/or the pulley is out of round. You may want to start all over by taking the pulley off and taking measurements of shaft and ID of pulley and having the proper tools to start with. Hopefully you have another vehicle to drive in the meantime to do this job right

Kenneth

Established Member
Seems the threads are damaged inside the snout.(if I'm reading correctly)

How about getting a thread tap the next size bigger(you would have to do the VMP bolt also) and rethreading and try again.

Larsonator

Established Member
You can't just tap it the next size bigger. It would require drilling first, and I wouldn't dare do that by hand.

Did you inspect the threads on the snout and puller bolt? I'd bet the leading thread is just messed up. I'm sure Justin, BJ or many others would know the thread size, and you could try running a tap of that size into the snout to clean it up, as well as dressing the threads on the bolt with a file.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
OP,

If it's our pulley tool, call the office. We're not available over lunch.

And, please don't take this negatively, but are you certain you were turning the right way? Re-read your instructions and double check.

(321) 206-9369

PLEASE REACH ME VIA EMAIL AT [email protected] AS OPPOSED TO PM. THANKS.

Last edited:

Reaper6193

Established Member
Yes tried all of these suggestions except for the tapping the thread to the next size up, im pretty sure one of the leading threads is messed up.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
Similar thing happened to me when I installed my 2.5 pulley last week. I "almost" panicked, but steppe back and closely examined the threads on the blower snout.

Looked like only the leading thread was damaged a bit, so I pressed the pulley on by hand just a bit. Just enough so the the shaft wouldn't turn when I tried screwing in the fully threaded screw. Doing that, I was able to hold the pulley and screw the bolt in past that bad thread.

mullens

Established Member
OP try re-tapping the snout with the original size. It just may need to be cleaned up a bit, then use anti-seize. I assume the threads on the puller are not damaged.

BilletProShop

Established Member
Buddy,
trying to hammer the pulley to complete the install is not the solution,
by now you most probably hammered the shaft back into the snout and will need to remove the snout to reset it properly ... for that you will have to remove the pulley (either use the puller or you could use a press with the appropriate accessory) and then after you reset the shaft in it's proper location you press the pulley back on supporting the shaft from under to prevent it from moving back
i can guide you through this if you would like

Sylvain
Billetproshop
514 239 9541

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Sylvain is right but we were in a jam, all the parts stores were closed and we had the car outside in an area it couldn't be left in. Had to figure out something quick to get the car running again. I'll tell him to give you a call, you did a great job talking me through my first blower dis-assembly.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
You can drive it with the SC belt off. I recommend Tob's special spacing tool. Wouldn't use it on my SC but might work for the last cm

Users who are viewing this thread