Pulled pectoral muscle

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
All my life, strong as a gorilla. I use to bench press 450, never had an injury. Know what it took to pull my left pec? Had to be lifting something crazy heavy, right?

I was hemmed in on both sides in a busy crowded room. I needed my computer. I knew my case was behind me, on my left, and if I got up, it would disrupt everyone on both sides of me. So I reach back, down, behind me with my left arm, grab the handle, and lift up and pull the laptop case in towards me. And as I am doing so ...

-twinge-

... in my left pec. That was all. It didn't hurt.

30 minutes later, though, and I can't even take a deep breath because the whole left side of my chest is KILLING me! And of course, with heart disease being a feature of the Snover family, and my size and weight, and the left side of my chest, and not being able to breath, there is very much the idea that this may be a heart attack. I didn't think so, because when I touched my chest it hurt like mad, and didn't seem to be on the inside of the rib cage ... but ... ya know? 57, you don't just take your own word for it anymore. This was last Tuesday afternoon.

Off to the ER. Yep: muscle pull. Stay home one day, no lifting anything for a week. Reams of paperwork to fill out at work. It is healing quickly, thank goodness, because not being able to use your left arm is a total pain in the ass! My company has been great, super supportive.

The trip to the ER did reveal a couple of items: blood pressure is going back up. Guess it's time for a round of new meds. The nurses flipped out when they saw the first numbers: 220/115. After a few hours, after realizing this was not a heart attack, after calming down, it came down to 165/70. But, time for new meds.

And, unexpected bonus: heart rate of 58bpm high, even while freaked out, and a low of 39. It kept setting off the alarms on the ECG. SPO2 was always around 96%. So, not dying; but say hello to my new friend, bradycardia!

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
All my life, strong as a gorilla. I use to bench press 450, never had an injury. Know what it took to pull my left pec? Had to be lifting something crazy heavy, right?

I was hemmed in on both sides in a busy crowded room. I needed my computer. I knew my case was behind me, on my left, and if I got up, it would disrupt everyone on both sides of me. So I reach back, down, behind me with my left arm, grab the handle, and lift up and pull the laptop case in towards me. And as I am doing so ...

-twinge-

30 minutes later, though, and I can't even take a deep breath because the whole left side of my chest is KILLING me! And of course, with heart disease being a feature of the Snover family, and my size and weight, and the left side of my chest, and not being able to breath, there is very much the idea that this may be a heart attack. I didn't think so, because when I touched my chest it hurt like mad, and didn't seem to be on the inside of the rib cage ... but ... ya know? 57, you don't just take your own word for it anymore. This was last Tuesday afternoon.

Off to the ER. Yep: muscle pull. Stay home one day, no lifting anything for a week. Reams of paperwork to fill out at work. It is healing quickly, thank goodness, because not being able to use your left arm is a total pain in the ass! My company has been great, super supportive.

The trip to the ER did reveal a couple of items: blood pressure is going back up. Guess it's time for a round of new meds. The nurses flipped out when they saw the first numbers: 220/115. After a few hours, after realizing this was not a heart attack, after calming down, it came down to 165/70. But, time for new meds.

And, unexpected bonus: heart rate of 58bpm high, even while freaked out, and a low of 39. It kept setting off the alarms on the ECG. SPO2 was always around 96%. So, not dying; but say hello to my new friend, bradycardia!
iekn3aJ.gif

Now tell me about astro physics.

Seriously though, glad yer okay.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I feel for you. A couple years ago I decided to play football with a group of teenagers. I intercepted the ball, and then remembered I was wearing cowboy boots.

The leather soles hit the ground and I went skiing. Then I fell forward, with the ball tucked under my left arm.

I dislocated a rib from the sternum. Being a big idiot I waited until the next day to go to the ER.

You do not want to have a rib dislocate. You also do not want to have the rib put back in place. The latter is worse because you are expecting it.

The cartilage becomes inflamed in my chest now. I had a few EKGs not knowing what the pain was. My Dr finally told me the pain would come and go depending on what I did for the rest of my life.

So doc, how do I determine whether or not I am having a heart attack?

You will collapse on the floor unconscious. If it's serious you will die.

Thanks doc, just what I wanted to hear.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

-twinge-

If my BP was that high I would explode.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
For the rekahd, I nevah BP 450. That's serious weight.
Depending on his weight class that’s state record territory.

Check out my buddy who holds the Mass state record in his age and weight class.
Here he is doing inclines which is not a competitive lift but still must be trained.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
If your bench was 450 what were your other two lifts. And at what weight.

With a bench of 450 you better know what two lifts I’m talkin about.

Don’t nobody help him with this.
Squat all time best: 805. Deadlift: 450. Always my weakest. I was 19 and weighed 275. I never competed.

Stanger00

Established Member
Squat all time best: 805. Deadlift: 450. Always my weakest. I was 19 and weighed 275. I never competed.

Good lord!

Glad you're ok! Bet that was prettty scary feeling. Your resting BPM is crazy low. I remember seeing a Lance Armstrong interview and he said his resting BPM when he is top shape for Tour De France is low 40's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
That’s a ****in great squat if you broke parallel.

There are top rated raw competitive lifters that have trained for years at 275 plus that could never get those bench or squat numbahs. Post vids if you have them.

Your dead lift was pitiful in comparison. Were you conventional or sumo?

christian01

Established Member
At 220, I was benching 495 raw. Was super curious about bench shirts so I took some measurements, and ordered. With help pulled it on and 505 came down...heard a audible tear, pushed it back up. Thought it was the shirt, wrong, it was my left peck. Turns out I ordered the wrong size by almost 2 inches. Tore 15 percent of my peck. Dr said nothing could be done, just rest 8 weeks. Since then (12 years) I've done reps with weight of 225 and 315 over the years and tweaked it everytime I get stronger. Sux cause bench was all I ever cared about.
Hope all is well after you're back OP!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Machdup1

Established Member
Welcome to getting old. You are now part of a distinguished club of old geezers, where body parts and functions begin to fail. Random aches and pains will plague you, your vision will worsen and you will wonder why you can no longer do “that” any more.

Users who are viewing this thread