Pulled a LS7 Corvette on the freeway in my Cobra

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
New member here. Thought I'd post up about my recent kill. Enjoy. :)

Pre-race

Saturday night I was at home hanging out with my wife and kid when my phone rings and it is a guy that I used to work with. He tells me that I have to get out to the local Walmart (where a bunch of Subaru guys like to hang out). He tells me that there is a guy with a Corvette saying that he'll race anyone there for a $100. This peaks my interest, not necessarily because of the money since I prefer to just race for the fun of it, but because of the crowd that he was trying to hussle money races out of (bunch of 13-14 second cars). Before he hangs up he tells me that the guy mentioned that he had a LS7. So I automatically assume it's a Z06 and get a little excited. When I pulled up it turned out to be a 2013 Collectors Edition convertible. Still the LS7, but a little heavier than a Z06. I walk up just in time to hear him tell one of the kids there that everyone just needed to get used to seeing his taillights because that's all they would see. :D

So I ask him a little about it. He tells me that he ordered it April of this year and did a little suspension work and exhaust. He didn't go into much detail so I don't know exactly what is done to it. Before I could ask any more details everyone starts their cars and started heading out. Turns out they were making a canyon run and the Vette was going with so I decided to tag along as well to see if I could get a run in with him. To make a long story a little shorter we made the canyon run and at the end there is a freeway that we take to get back into town. This is where I got my chance.*

The Race

I tried to line up with him a couple of times but he liked to hit it before we were even and without anyone counting or honking it off, so I had to wait for a couple of small hits before we could actually line up. I slowed to 50-55ish while in second gear. Knowing how he kept trying to just go without a fair start, I didn't worry about lining up even with him. I got to where my front bumper was at his door and just started to honk it off so that he would know that I was ready. Third honk and we both hit it at the same exact time. I pull even with him at the top of second and hit third. Pulled a car in third gear and shifted into fourth. Pulled another car-car and a half up to about 120ish and had to back out due to a bend coming up in the road. End result: I pulled about 3 cars total from 50-55 to 120. Could have been slightly more, I was more focused on the turn coming up in front of me than trying to judge the distance between us.

We ended up cruising up to the next rest stop area and pulled in to Bullshit (still forgot to get details on his setup). He ended up being a pretty cool guy after he realized there was faster stuff on the road than his 427 Vette. We gave each other props and went our separate ways.

Last edited:

turd burglar

Established Member
While I love the ls7 as a motor, anyone who tries to go and act like king shit walkin to a bunch of kids with subies, would automatically earn some douche points with me. Good kill op

Breze84

Established Member
They are fast cars no doubt.. He was probably stock, Maybe catback minimum... If you guys were going for Ludicrous speed he would have pulled past you.. They are top end monsters... GK

BlueSnake01

Established Member
They are fast cars no doubt.. He was probably stock, Maybe catback minimum... If you guys were going for Ludicrous speed he would have pulled past you.. They are top end monsters... GK
Yes they are but we are not supposed to go past 5th, so it doesnt matter. At 120, its already a good speed to end it. Either way, I love those LS7's :rockon:

Good kill O.P! Good thing he wasnt a douche with a fast car. Still pretty funny that he was punking the other guys :lol1: I do that here and there with some people with 13 sec cars who upgraded from their 16 sec cars. They think its the fastest thing out there.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Good run OP.

Just goes to show how much better the 5.0's are. With 420 RWHP they are an even match for an Ls7 vette.Hell, even some of them with less mods can pull 2-3 cars on a C6Z from a Roll.

If a 600+ RWHP Cobra only yanks one by 3 cars, I'd hate to see what a 600 RWHP 5.0 does to both that said Cobra and the Z!!!! :)

Realized it was a 2013 LS7 vette and not.a C6Z.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
It's about 200lbs heavier and Vert but other than that, its practically the same thing :shrug:

I am aware it is the same thing. I just corrected the name as it is not a C6Z.

It also seems that even though cobras and 5.0's are of equal speed sotck for stock, the 5.0 gets faster when modding and the cobra only gets slower. :shrug:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Good run OP.

Just goes to show how much better the 5.0's are. With 420 RWHP they are an even match for an Ls7 vette.Hell, even some of them with less mods can pull 2-3 cars on a C6Z from a Roll.
If a 600+ RWHP Cobra only yanks one by 3 cars, I'd hate to see what a 600 RWHP 5.0 does to both that said Cobra and the Z!!!! :)

Realized it was a 2013 LS7 vette and not.a C6Z.

Yea okay :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread