Pull Valve Cover without Pulling Booster?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So I got a set of Lincoln VCs and was going to Weld in some An fittings for a breather setup and powered coat them.

Supercharger is out... Before I get halfway and start howling - is it possible to pull the driver side without screwing with the hydroboost?

IMG_20210509_195509.jpeg

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Negative. Not enough room to lift valve cover up. Believe me I tried. It’s pretty stupid.

03venomdsg

Established Member
I have an aftermarket tubular K, I was able to loosen the motor mount bolts and jack it up enough on that driver side to get it to slide out. Still was a pita, but seemed easier than fighting the booster under the dash, also to note if you try it there was a sweet spot as in don't jack it up as high as you can off the bat take it up a little and see if you can get it if not go a little more etc.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Pulling the hydro boost is not that bad you can do it without opening the system. I would recommend removing the DS seat so you have more room.....I just removed my hydro boost and power steering and went manual.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Pulling the hydro boost is not that bad you can do it without opening the system. I would recommend removing the DS seat so you have more room.....I just removed my hydro boost and power steering and went manual.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s what I ended up doing. Disconnected pedal. Then removed booster assembly and maneuvered aside. If you go this route wrap booster with rags or tshirts so it doesn’t scratch any paint.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
What did you use for the manual brakes? How do they feel?

I've never got a straight answer.

I'd love to run like manual brakes and electric steering.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I used all maximum Motorsports stuff their brake kit and a 95 cobra master cylinder. The pedal feels great not sure how it will drive since I don’t have a motor in yet. Went with a flaming river 15:1 rack and MM steering shaft definitely cleans up the engine bay and you can easily remove the valve covers with the manual setup.

boost88

Established Member
I just removed and replaced them without touching the booster. The clutch cable has to come out but that's it. The dip stock tube is more of a pain. It will need to be bent. Since the blower is off it will be easier

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
I've tried it twice leaving the booster in place and jacking up the motor and both times I failed and had to remove the booster.

DCguy

Established Member
I just removed and replaced them without touching the booster. The clutch cable has to come out but that's it. The dip stock tube is more of a pain. It will need to be bent. Since the blower is off it will be easier

How? VC doesnt even come close to clearing the cam caps with the booster in place? Clutch cable comes out either way of course, but thats not the main issue.

You might want to check your engine mounts and Kmember are properly secured.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I've done this many times and I have to admit that I think its car dependent.

I've done it successfully on 4 cars by removing the clutch cable and jacking up the the driverside.

Also unsuccessfully on 3 cars.

Its worth a try to do try and do it with out removing the booster.

boost88

Established Member
How? VC doesnt even come close to clearing the cam caps with the booster in place? Clutch cable comes out either way of course, but thats not the main issue.

You might want to check your engine mounts and Kmember are properly secured.
Only touch on the booster I had was the reservoir sensor. Other than that went in pretty easy. Also having the fuel rails off gives you extra room to rotate it up towards the intake Valley

Albatross

Established Member
Where are you guys putting a jack to get the drivers side of the motor up? How far does it need to be lifted to have room to get the valve cover out?

03venomdsg

Established Member
I put a short 2x4 vertically along the driver's side of the oil pan and not far at all jack up a little see if you can get it if not go a little more it's only a few inches no more than 4-6. I did have the fuel rail off which I'm sure helped.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Unbolt the booster from under the dash. Couple extensions and swivel and you are golden. 45 minutes tops.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Booster is to easy to move

Don't know why this come up a lot,

Couple of bolts, pull battery

Move booster to battery area and tie it,

Above drivers wheel is a nut that holds brake lines to frame take off the nut and mc,will move also to give plenty of room ,

After assembly you may have to reset cruise control switch on brake pedal

Simple. Unhook rod from brake pedal, push rod into switch till you hear click,
Than push brake pedal to hook on switch ,

Users who are viewing this thread