psychiatry = fake science?

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Just watched this whole video, pretty interesting stuff. It basically sums up psychiatry as one of the biggest and most elaborate scams of the human race, put in place to get people rich by creating made up diseases that cant be proven to exist or tested in any kind of scientific way. Watch the video, its 2 hours but its worth it. What are other peoples thoughts on this?

[youtube_browser]gvdBSSUviys[/youtube_browser]

Troponin

Established Member
If you have ever worked with psych patients, I am pretty sure you would agree that there is a need for psych docs, treatments and science.

However, the video seems to be focused on a highly debated side of it all. Things like bipolar, ADD, ADHD etc, in almost all cases, stem from something else. For instance, a majority of kids that suffer from ADD have been found to have very poor diets, and when the diet was corrected, suddenly the ADD was gone. The other side of it is structure at home. In this case, I don't think it's the child that needs help, it's the parents that need treatment. Bipolar is commonly misdiagnosed as well.

Last edited:

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Just watched this whole video, pretty interesting stuff. It basically sums up psychiatry as one of the biggest and most elaborate scams of the human race, put in place to get people rich by creating made up diseases that cant be proven to exist or tested in any kind of scientific way. Watch the video, its 2 hours but its worth it. What are other peoples thoughts on this?

[youtube_browser]gvdBSSUviys[/youtube_browser]

No. It's not fake.

TERMN8U

Established Member
In my opinion you are EXACTLY right. How did you come to your opinions?
I have just recently come to hold the same beliefs

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
There is almost always an underlying issue that is the cause. Most times diet. Autoimmune diseases also contribute to symptoms. Especially ones that affect diet and absorption of nutrients like chrons, ulcerative colitis. Just to name two.
Psychiatry and western medicine are very new. I'm sure in 20 years we will look back and say how did we think this was right?

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
If you have ever worked with psych patients, I am pretty sure you would agree that there is a need for psych docs, treatments and science.

However, the video seems to be focused on a highly debated side of it all. Things like bipolar, ADD, ADHD etc, in almost all cases, stem from something else. For instance, a majority of kids that suffer from ADD have been found to have very poor diets, and when the diet was corrected, suddenly the ADD was gone. The other side of it is structure at home. In this case, I don't think it's the child that needs help, it's the parents that need treatment. Bipolar is commonly misdiagnosed as well.
Links or sources please.

o2gt

Established Member
No I don't believe that it's fake. People have been suffering from mental illness since the first human. Long perforce modes medicine step in and began treating the issues. Look at the chemical imbalances that are linked to disorders or brain scans that show evidence of differences in people's brains. Not to mention the symptoms that physical manifest for some people or people who hear voices or see things. I will give quick example of my self. I'm a recovering alcoholic been sober over six years. The first time I had a bad detox I was at my parent house. I went to bed at did not drink. Next thing I know I'm hearing a radio, I start searching the house thinking a clock radio went of but found nothing. I thought I was going crazy. I was hearing songs and voices like they were right there. I finally fell asleep, the. Woke up very sick. Then I began to see things. I thought there was an elephant In my room. I could see it clear as day and was freaking out.

My point is the mind can do very strange things when it not working correctly. Now I admit it was chemically induced. But that's the point changes on brain chemistry or cns disturbances can really effect people.
Something else to consider you see or hear of people that have very present and clear symptoms who take medicating or get counseling and they see a reduction in symptoms. This tells me that in at least some pr

Last edited:

o2gt

Established Member
People are suffering from an illness. I do believe that there is over diagnosis of some things and in some cases the medical field has go to far in creating new diagnosis for certain behaviors. This in my mind is counter productive because it can discredit the science.

Troponin

Established Member

Prototype007

Established Member
I used to be one that wouldn't accept that many physiological issues was a real thing. It was just something that the weak minded and spineless used for attention, an excuse, or alibi for their actions such as ADD, ADHD, and my former favorite to hate on Panic Attacks. As I've gotten older and been more exposed than ever to the public, it changed my views greatly. I agree that some things are misdiagnosed and others stem from underlying issues.

I had to experience some problems of my own before I could fully accept this. My problem (I won't go into detail) was simply from having a reaction to a organ related illness and the medicine I was taking for it. When I stopped taking the medicine, within a days time I was back to normal and feeling awesome!

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
http://www.examiner.com/article/adh...diet-now-conclusively-linked-australian-study

http://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...r-Childs-Diet-A-Cause-and-a-Cure-of-ADHD.aspx

This last one focuses on a phosphate link, which is a little more controversial, but still warrants a good look, especially if you're thinking about treating your child's ADD/ADHD with meds, it's a much better place to start.

http://www.phosadd.com/diet/diet.htm

Quotes from the first 2 articles shows what you said to be invalid.

"To date no convincing evidence has shown that a poor diet causes ADHD, or that dietary supplements can be used to successfully treat the condition."

"Professor Oddy also said that researchers couldn't be sure if poor diet leads to ADHD or whether having ADHD leads to poor dietary choices and cravings."

It would be great if all you had to do was correct a kids diet but I don't see that to be the full extent of the problem. I think a good diet helps any child but still see ADD/ADHD as a mental issue.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I knew a woman that went to a shrink to try and resolve her cheating problems. Soon after she got married she was hooking up again.

So she got a recommendation for a therapist that specialized in her type of problem.

He ****ed her too.

Any questions?

o2gt

Established Member
my question is what does that prove? one unethical therapist does not mean a hold field of science is fake.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
my question is what does that prove? one unethical therapist does not mean a hold field of science is fake.

People who have nothing in third world countries, should be completely crazy, simply from their living conditions. Privileged folks who suffer from so called 1st world issues, can hold my nuts.

o2gt

Established Member
People who have nothing in third world countries, should be completely crazy, simply from their living conditions. Privileged folks who suffer from so called 1st world issues, can hold my nuts.
So your accretion is that people don't suffer from mental illness in third world countries? Have you given it any thought that maybe you just don't know about those people's mental conditions? Or possible because of the economic conditions they don't get diagnosed and or treated. I'm sorry but your hypothesis is very weak and uneducated.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
So your accretion is that people don't suffer from mental illness in third world countries? Have you given it any thought that maybe you just don't know about those people's mental conditions? Or possible because of the economic conditions they don't get diagnosed and or treated. I'm sorry but your hypothesis is very weak and uneducated.

Your reading comprehension sucks. I'm saying that people in third world countries, who have nothing, and have to REALLY struggle to survive on a daily basis, should be the ones traumatized to the point of severe mental illness. We are spoiled in this this country. People here have "mental issues", because their parents who are rich, beyond rich, don't give them enough attention.

o2gt

Established Member
Your reading comprehension sucks. I'm saying that people in third world countries, who have nothing, and have to REALLY struggle to survive on a daily basis, should be the ones traumatized to the point of severe mental illness. We are spoiled in this this country. People here have "mental issues", because their parents who are rich, beyond rich, don't give them enough attention.

It has nothing to do with reading comprehension. You made a totally unsupported claim, and did not back it up with any thing beside speculation.you look at one factor and came to a conclusion. I suggest you do some research about mental illness.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
It has nothing to do with reading comprehension. You made a totally unsupported claim, and did not back it up with any thing beside speculation.you look at one factor and came to a conclusion. I suggest you do some research about mental illness.

How is it unsupported? You see about 10 different drugs being advertised on TV for depression, that have side effects worse than the actual "issue". People simply need to have the balls to take control of their own lives, because there are folks in FAR more dire situations that have been forced to cope.

o2gt

Established Member
how does your statement support anything? yes you are correct there is more than one drug depression with differing formulas and compounds that work differently. yes you might experaince side effects with them buy im willing to bet lots of people will put up with then for a reprieve form their depression. guess what there more than on drug to treat heartburn it has side effects does that mean heartburn is not real, or how about all the drugs that treat high blood pressure they could have side effects also? what about pain meds there is tons of them and guess what they have very bad side effects does not mean pain is not real? you are making a very poor argument, you clearly have no idea what your talking about or you have some axe to grind with the profession. you say people are forced to cope but with what, the eco condition or mental illness?

Users who are viewing this thread