Prothane Motor Mount Snapped Off

SilverGT1

Established Member
OK. A bit of a rant here...
I am just finishing installing my new MM K-Member. I had installed brand new Prothane 6-504 motor mounts since the K-Member was out. I am installing the nut on the passenger side @ 95 Ft Lbs and the thing just snaps off. WTF?

I called Prothane. They said they have a lifetime warranty. Great. Couldn't say when I'd get a replacement though. They also said that these should only be torques to 60 Ft Lbs? WTF (again)??... there was nothing with their part that stated this. Haynes say 95 - 126. Factory service manual says 111.

Here are a couple pictures. The base the stud was mounted to looks like cheap pot metal...

Garbage. What mounts are good and reputable?
IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Never had any issues with mine on my fox and a ton of friends of mine had the tranny and motor mounts from them. Maybe they went to China for metal after that....damn.

SilverGT1

Established Member
Never had any issues with mine on my fox and a ton of friends of mine had the tranny and motor mounts from them. Maybe they went to China for metal after that....damn.

Ya, maybe. It is very low grade material as you can see in the picture. it just broke off. Not like it twisted until broke. It just looks like that cheap low grade cast garbage.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Ya, maybe. It is very low grade material as you can see in the picture. it just broke off. Not like it twisted until broke. It just looks like that cheap low grade cast garbage.
The size of the bolt that is on the motor mount should hold 200 ft-lbs...not snap at 95. Hopefully they take note and use real metals from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread