Protecting leather seats from car seat

dom418

Established Member
what are you guys using to protect the seat bottoms form the indentations caused by car seats? I know there is a lot of controversy over using seat protectors as they may make the seat less safe in an accident.

Most of the ones I have found have a rubber bottom that I believe will eventually etch into the seat bottom or satin the seat. Thank you guys

TK Doom

Established Member
I had a car seat in my Cobra for 2 years, it didn't leave a mark.

I just put a bath towel down.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Bath towel. I'll also use the seat pad if a full size seat long term but that's been a while.
-J

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve used this car seat protector with all three of my kids on numerous leather seats and have never had an issue:

http://www.bellababy.ie/safety1stcarseatprotector-p-9487.html

I only use(d) car seats and booster seats that utilize the built in child seat anchors, so safety was never a concern.

I second the car seat protector. We have used one in our Fusion and then in our Edge. Cuts down on the messes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dom418

Established Member
I’ve used this car seat protector with all three of my kids on numerous leather seats and have never had an issue:

http://www.bellababy.ie/safety1stcarseatprotector-p-9487.html

I only use(d) car seats and booster seats that utilize the built in child seat anchors, so safety was never a concern.

Did the rubber backing mess up the seat bottom when you removed it? I’ve heard horror stories about the backing melting to the seat etc

einehund

Established Member
Bath towel for 4 years in the Shelby. No marks whatsoever and when it did get a little dirty, you can just throw it in the wash.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Did the rubber backing mess up the seat bottom when you removed it? I’ve heard horror stories about the backing melting to the seat etc

Never. Not saying it doesn’t happen to some people, but I’ve used it in very hot climates and never had a problem.

Safety first also makes one that doesn’t have a backing. The entire protector is made of a material similar to tool box drawer liners but a little more heavy duty and heat resistant. Currently have this in my Tundra for my son’s booster seat with zero issues during this last Texas summer. I’ll see if I can find a link.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I always used a towel, but that seat protector is superior IMO. Protects the seat back as well, and does it nicely.
Correct, I had that for the full seats but the towel works well once you get to boosters. Black towel and most never notice.
-J

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
1/4" Plywood. I know it sounds weird but I cut a few strips about 5 x 8 to put under the child seats. We have leather in our Explorer and first I rubbed some conditioner in the seats. Then laid down a towel flat on the seats. Put the plywood down, then the child seats. I pull the seats out every couple of months for a cleaning and the Explorer seats look perfect.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
what are you guys using to protect the seat bottoms form the indentations caused by car seats? I know there is a lot of controversy over using seat protectors as they may make the seat less safe in an accident.

Most of the ones I have found have a rubber bottom that I believe will eventually etch into the seat bottom or satin the seat. Thank you guys
Towel.

quad

Established Member
Never used a protector on the Cobra seats and from what I can tell they still look great after 13 years. Granted I don't drive it much. I won't hop in the car with dirty pants or sweaty shirts. But you know what who cares if a little of your sweat gets on the car - that just makes it more yours. I don't plan on selling the Cobra anytime soon and whomever buys it can get new seats if it really bothers them that much.

The leather on my computer chairs are starting to wear out though - first the bottoms and now the arm rests and I can see the backs will be going also. It sucks because the frames are still great. I got some ergonomic seat pads from Costco which hides the flaking leather. I might just color the fabric underneath the leather similar to the leather color with a marker. I only paid $65 for the chairs each a few years ago and can get new ones for cheap as well. I just hate throwing out something that still works great because of a few blemishes. We all get scratches and bumps as we get older so I might just live with these chairs until they start to fail structurally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread