pros & cons of corn fed snake !!!

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
so i`ve researched until i`m blue in the face & tired so help school me on my i "SHOULD" OR "SHOULDN`T E85 ??

its getting more available around nashville & since thats the case its got me thinking about it more & more.

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
the only cons I know is it needs a shit load of fuel and that e85 stations a far and few between around my part. I think you need at least 80lb injectors, fuel pumps, and some other stuff. I just started reading on it myself so forgive me if im slightly off fellas. Thats the stuff ive ran across on here as of late. I know it needs much more then just injectors and fuel pumps but just an example

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL! I read the title of your thread and thought for a brief second you were going to a restaurant that served corn-fed snake. :lol1:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I just don't need the extra expense to get more power that I don't need and can't use :shrug:

AaronK

Established Member
the only cons I know is it needs a shit load of fuel and that e85 stations a far and few between around my part. I think you need at least 80lb injectors, fuel pumps, and some other stuff. I just started reading on it myself so forgive me if im slightly off fellas. Thats the stuff ive ran across on here as of late. I know it needs much more then just injectors and fuel pumps but just an example

+1. Those are the only cons I can think of. Someone told me it was more "corrosive" to aluminum?? Anyone have more info on this?

From what I understand, the major advantage is the octane rating and that it burns cooler. Many say that it's better than race fuel AND it's significantly cheaper.

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
I'm wondering if there are any long term effects from the ethanol on fuel system parts such as lines pumps and such:shrug:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Pros:
Just a few off the top of my head.

1) No risk of detonation. This single factor makes it more than worth it IMO. No need to worry about "Pushing" the limits of gasoline to try to get the most power and being on the "Ragged Edge". Make power with peace of mind.

2) Price: Less than 87 Octane. (Even if you use more it it still better than 93)

3) More Power! Allows you to make more power than regular gasoline or even most race gas.

4) Runs cooler. The Ethanol makes a fantastic aftercooler and cools down the intake charge from boost. E85 was made for Boost! :rockon:

5) Burns cleaner. Clean valves, pistons, O2 sensors, exhaust, etc...

6) Made in USA!!! :rockon:

Cons:

1) Uses slightly more fuel. 15-20%. (Offset by cost, but still performs better than race gas!)

2) Have to run larger fuel injectors, pumps, etc. (Most do this anyway when upping the power of their Cobras.)

3) Less stations (Once you see the power benefit you will kindly drive out of your way to find it)

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
+1. Those are the only cons I can think of. Someone told me it was more "corrosive" to aluminum?? Anyone have more info on this?
[ame=http://www.e85performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17]Rumored Corrosive Effects of E85 - E85Performance.net - Discussion Forum for All E85 Car Owners[/ame]

I'm wondering if there are any long term effects from the ethanol on fuel system parts such as lines pumps and such:shrug:
[youtube_browser]HuOs1yap8mU[/youtube_browser]

Fat-cat

Established Member
what sleeper said if you are looking to make power with your car E85 is the way to go. You are less likely to be rebuilding motors and the off set of that cost is worth a new set of injectors ever 4 years if E85 hurts them at all.

AaronK

Established Member
Thanks Kevin. I keep hearing different stories on the octane rating of E85. How consistent is the octane of E85 between stations? I would hate to have my car tuned on E85 from one station and then next time I fill up, get a "lower quality" E85... I would hope they are all the same.

GodStang

Established Member
Picked up some yesterday for the ole Tahoe $2.29 for E85 and $2.67 for 93 octane. A bit of a saving if you ask me.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thanks Kevin. I keep hearing different stories on the octane rating of E85. How consistent is the octane of E85 between stations? I would hate to have my car tuned on E85 from one station and then next time I fill up, get a "lower quality" E85... I would hope they are all the same.
The only thing you might see is a switch to E70 for winter blend. Even E70 will outperform C16 so there's really no worries about less quality. Actually, E85 is WAY more consistent than gasoline.

It is also very easy to test the ethanol content with a tester. Only takes a minute or two.

Here's how easy it is to test:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/708250-e85-test.html

Picked up some yesterday for the ole Tahoe $2.29 for E85 and $2.67 for 93 octane. A bit of a saving if you ask me.
Nice! E85 is around $2.09 to $2.34 here and 93 is around $3.00.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
My fuel pump duty cycle is at 71% right now. Does a 15-20% increase in fuel directly correlate to a 15-20% increase in duty cycle?

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
LOL! I read the title of your thread and thought for a brief second you were going to a restaurant that served corn-fed snake. :lol1:
:D :D :D :D :D you made me bust out LOL`n

awesome info guys THANKS !!!! :rockon: i`m glad you posted 04sleeper you were the main one

E85 pumps have started showing up around nashville,tn lately & i remember seeing the 5.0 super fords article about "the corn fed snake" & i re-read it a couple days a go.

ALSO what if i wanted to take my car somewhere it wasnt that available could i use regular gas ?

mrose75

Established Member
Would going E-85 be worth it for a ported Eaton or are the benefits limited to twin screws? I wouldn't mind doing it... I'm kinda at a fork in the road as to where I wanna go with my Cobra right now.

Users who are viewing this thread