Pros/Cons: Manual Challenger Hellcat (2016+)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I know its a bad time to be car hunting since prices have been going up and not depreciating as everything should. But, I've been itching to get another manual vehicle but something more comfortable for long cruises on weekends, maybe even road trips up and down the West Coast.

For those who've owned a Manual Hellcat, what were your thoughts? I'm good at the stock power levels, might even do bolt ons but don't plan on going after crazy power. Just want something I can drive anywhere and park anywhere without any worry.

The first thing I would address is grip so I would definitely get tires first, maybe some lighter wheels too.

Other cars considered: 2014-2015 ZL1 Manual. No GT500 do not want solid axle.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Well -

Camaro's are trash and you can't see shit out of them.

I had a 1320 Scatpack - absolutely gorgeous car inside and out. The A8 preformed perfectly, the engine sounded amazing, it rode and drove great. So naturally I got bored with it.

They are very heavy cars and you will feel that weight in mountain roads. I do wish my Scatty-Cat had been a 6spd, it might have stuck around longer. I'm told the Hellicats are better with the A8 as the 6spd sucks balls to hook, launch and go. I've driven a Hellcat Charger and 6spd Challenger - I really didn't notice either, in stock form, on test drives, being particularly faster then a Scatpack. Certainly never got that clenched cheek "we're all gonna die" feeling you get with a Terminator pinging the redline.

Another thing I didn't like about the Scat was just always being worried it would get stolen or have the wheels get stolen. The Mopars are top of the charts for vehicle theft and insurance premiums reflect that.

I'd take a Vette over the Camaro.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just could not bring myself to driving a Fiat. If it had to be something besides a Ford, and domestic, I would choose a C6 Vette. And then the first thing I would do is change the suspension on the car.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
z28 and c6? lol terrible advice, c'mon fellas. I dont need another 2 seater, that puts the c6 outta contention. The z28 rides stiff af, I already have a stiff riding car.

kaz109

Established Member
z28 and c6? lol terrible advice, c'mon fellas. I dont need another 2 seater, that puts the c6 outta contention. The z28 rides stiff af, I already have a stiff riding car.
I didn’t actually read the entire post, Gen 2 CTS V

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
In 2015 I drove a new scat pack challenger with the 6 speed. I really enjoyed it but ended up buying a left over 2014 mustang gt with the awful mt82…. The Ford was about $10k cheaper at the time, otherwise I absolutely would have bought the Challenger.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
In 2015 I drove a new scat pack challenger with the 6 speed. I really enjoyed it but ended up buying a left over 2014 mustang gt with the awful mt82…. The Ford was about $10k cheaper at the time, otherwise I absolutely would have bought the Challenger.
Id rather have the GT than any 392. I know the 392 is faster stock for stock, but once you go FI, byebye challenger.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Gotta love those Mopar Horse Power Dollars. My 1320 stickered at $52k and I got it for $43k out the door with all discounts I qualified for.

I hate the S550.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Id rather have the GT than any 392. I know the 392 is faster stock for stock, but once you go FI, byebye challenger.
But if you're not going to modify.... that's the thing. Lots of people also seem to buy vehicles for their potential, knowing deep down, they will never reach that potential themselves. It's like the guy driving a stock IS300 talking about how a 2JZ can make 1000hp on stock internals... so what, your car is 180whp on a good day.

noco5.0

Established Member
I currently own a 2015 M6 Hellcat. I've owned both the automatic and manual version of the car. The auto definitely performs better with the tall gearing of the manual but I still prefer the stick shift. Hellcats are great for your intended purpose. If you do get one remove the clutch delay valve and install the Barton Shifter which is a night and day difference over the factory shifter. I also own a Boss 302. The mustang is more fun to drive, but with the recaros and solid rear axle I wouldn't take the car on a cross country road trip. I would look forward to the same trip in the Hellcat with the plush seats and comfortable ride.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
A sticked Mopar is slow AF. Get an auto and forget the stick. Its old technology and out dated.

There is a reason ur not seeing them produced anymore on super cars and muscle cars and its due to a lack of performance compared to an Auto.

If u wanna feel like "Speed Racer" and slap gears thats great and all but the reality is its junk and so are the clutches they come with. And its junk on a Mustang as well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I would have already have turned my Ram in for a custom built ‘21 Hellcat Challenger 6spd BUT Dodge hasn’t made a ‘21 M6 Hellcat.
I had a Charger Hellcat for 3yrs and loved it as a DD. I’m just not a truck guy and want to drive a manual daily again so that’s why I was trying to order a manual Challenger.
As Brett said, yes the manual is slower compared to the A8 (which is the best auto I’ve ever driven btw), but it’s not always about speed.
I’ve been driving my dad’s Boss 302 LS all summer in anticipation of selling it for him and it’s confirmed my decision to drive a manual daily.
Ive also driven my neighbor’s 2016 Hellcat 6spd before and after mild bolt ons and it’s a ton of fun and especially what you’re after.
All that said above, yes I think you’re correct in your choice. My only concern would be the theft problem. If you can find a solution to that and find a decent deal in this market I’d say go for it!
I still would personally choose a GT350 with nothing more than a Hellion sleeper kit, but you said you hate the S550.
Good luck
-J

Attachments

• 92969C6E-4314-4F5A-A0CC-2AB160F25F45.jpeg
    92969C6E-4314-4F5A-A0CC-2AB160F25F45.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 90

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I still have it but its not one of those things I can't drive carelessly. Have to be careful, park far away, etc.
I want a daily-ish car that i can take out with 0 care in the world. Wash maybe once a month... if that. lol It will be stock for sure, my speed fix is primarily through my bike.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I currently own a 2015 M6 Hellcat. I've owned both the automatic and manual version of the car. The auto definitely performs better with the tall gearing of the manual but I still prefer the stick shift. Hellcats are great for your intended purpose. If you do get one remove the clutch delay valve and install the Barton Shifter which is a night and day difference over the factory shifter. I also own a Boss 302. The mustang is more fun to drive, but with the recaros and solid rear axle I wouldn't take the car on a cross country road trip. I would look forward to the same trip in the Hellcat with the plush seats and comfortable ride.
Thank you, this right here is the comment I'm looking for. People with the manual got it for a reason. They aren't after high HP numbers or roll racing, they got it to get the classic muscle car feel with power and tq. I had a 13 GT and big wheels and it was a recipe for pogo/bounce central, I never got to dial it in, but what can you really do with solid axle, bigger wheels setup and coil overs?

Anyways, those are my main 3 goals, tires, barton shifter and lowering springs. I'd have to check out the clutch delay valve. I think the Viper clutch might be stiffer than the HC.

I would have already have turned my Ram in for a custom built ‘21 Hellcat Challenger 6spd BUT Dodge hasn’t made a ‘21 M6 Hellcat.
I had a Charger Hellcat for 3yrs and loved it as a DD. I’m just not a truck guy and want to drive a manual daily again so that’s why I was trying to order a manual Challenger.
As Brett said, yes the manual is slower compared to the A8 (which is the best auto I’ve ever driven btw), but it’s not always about speed.
I’ve been driving my dad’s Boss 302 LS all summer in anticipation of selling it for him and it’s confirmed my decision to drive a manual daily.
Ive also driven my neighbor’s 2016 Hellcat 6spd before and after mild bolt ons and it’s a ton of fun and especially what you’re after.
All that said above, yes I think you’re correct in your choice. My only concern would be the theft problem. If you can find a solution to that and find a decent deal in this market I’d say go for it!
I still would personally choose a GT350 with nothing more than a Hellion sleeper kit, but you said you hate the S550.
Good luck
-J
I don't hate the S550, its the S197 im over, that includes GT500. The selling point for the HC is the trunk space, I prefer to put the mtn bike in the trunk, HC is perfect for that. Hell I wish Dodge made a manual HC Charger, that would've been nice.

A GT350 is nice as hell, but I'd want a GT350R, but that will be almost like the viper where I want to take care of it.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
mountain bike ? sounds like you need an older luxury SUV.
1) fits your mtn bike and gear
2) dont give a **** it its dented or ruined
3) really comfortable and easy to get in/out

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Challenger'a trunk is big, but I don't recall it being mountain bike big. It has very intrusive hinges.

Might want to bring your bike to the dealer.

madscotsman

Established Member
I traded my 18' SS 1LE Camaro (6speed manual) about 6 months ago for a 18' Hellcat Charger and couldn't be happier. The A8 in these things is great, esp in track mode. The paddle shifters are very responsive with no delays when shifting with them so I can just use them if I have the itch to shift manually, and don't have to worry about using a clutch. It sounds pretty cool to hear the supercharger spool up with each manual downshift with the rev match. In track mode the shifts are HARD and quick at WOT, and really remind me of Buddy's cars back in the day that had shift kits in them.

Users who are viewing this thread