ProMotion 650 Clutch and Input shaft Installed

2001asp

Established Member
Just finished installing my 1st clutch in my Cobra. I went with Promotion as they offered SOLID CUSTOMER SUPPORT; Which I knew I was going to need. I worked with Wolly and he put together a package deal as I was buying a bunch of parts all at once. I purchased the following:

26 spline 650 Clutch kit
Tremec 26 Spline Inputshaft W/ shim kit
Mcleod Inputshaft guide tube
F/R T-56 Trans. mount (50,000 miles)
Promotion Cable adjuster, Quadrant, and Adjustable Cable
New install hardware
Promotion sourced Bearings x 2
4 quarts of Penszoil-Syncromesh (Advance-auto)

The remove and install went ok. It was my first time. I did it on Jackstands in my garage while I was on Holiday leave from the Navy. I had a few hic-ups, but that was because of lack of experience with this car and clutch tech. Wolly talked me through everything and answered my calls and even sent videos of a few measurements. I am glad I went with Promotion on this Mod and glad to have Wolly answering the phone on the other side. I'll chime in in a few weeks in regards to the break-in and how the car is behaving. If you have any questions for me, let me know. Thank you Promotion!!!:beer:

UPDATE:::I Swapped out the 650 Pressure Plate and installed the 750 Pressure Plate. The 650 P/P had a little vibe to it. Promotion recommended the 750 P/P and it was butter smooth. So Far everything has been great working with Promotion, and the I'm very happy with this Clutch set-up. Thanks again Wolly for all your assistance. FYI, the vibe in the Pressure plate was a one time thing, this is not the norm for Promotion. All there kits are plug and play.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
good job op! excellent choice, I just installed a promotion 750/26spline 2 weeks ago and also had a great experiance, and great customer service. unfortunately i've only put about 7 miles on it so far and wont really be able to break it in until spring.

greenflash00

Established Member
Glad to hear more info about these clutches popping up. I plan to go with one very soon as well as my stocker has started to slip. Great price and glad to hear about the great service as well. Keep us updated! :rockon:

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
I have a question.... what are the torque specifications on the pressure plate?

and

do you need install that ring thing on the back of the input shaft in order to get the correct endplay readings?

:p

Good Job!! :thumbsup:

:beer:

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ when doing the input shaft you have to check the endplay, and possibly adjust with different shims. I had to on mine it was off by a bit, simple shim change and within spec, very easy.

ctgreddy

Established Member
pressure plate was 30ft lbs and then 60*'s i believe. i just did this like 2 weeks ago and i cant even remember what the hell.

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
I know the steps and torque numbers... I was busting his Balls. OP had a couple of issues but learned enough to be an expert I am sure!

If you get this Tremec input shaft and need help... contact OP!! Trust me he knows this set up well.

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
I'm running the 760 hp setup(I think), and everything else you listed above... All from ProMotion... LOVE IT! I've got about 30 track passes, on bias ply 28" MT's, and the clutch holds for days. The customer service is top notch as well.

2001asp

Established Member
I know the steps and torque numbers... I was busting his Balls. OP had a couple of issues but learned enough to be an expert I am sure!

If you get this Tremec input shaft and need help... contact OP!! Trust me he knows this set up well.

THIS:lol::lol:

I suck at installs....LoL...If Nate had helped me, It would have been smoother for sure.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I'm running the 760 hp setup(I think), and everything else you listed above... All from ProMotion... LOVE IT! I've got about 30 track passes, on bias ply 28" MT's, and the clutch holds for days. The customer service is top notch as well.

that's very good to hear! I just put the 750 in and hoping it holds strong!

1s9v9t7

Demand It All
Established Member
Awesome to hear more about these clutches!
2001asp, I was stationed in pensacola about a year ago. Im over at NAS Jax now.
They have a hobby shop here where you can rent the lifts out.
Your whole parts list is exactly my next upgrade. Just worried about how hard the install and adjustments are gonna be. But the way you describe it, hell why not. Guess I gotta put the order in.
Keep us posted on how the clutch works out!

TRBO VNM

Awesome to hear more about these clutches!
2001asp, I was stationed in pensacola about a year ago. Im over at NAS Jax now.
They have a hobby shop here where you can rent the lifts out.
Your whole parts list is exactly my next upgrade. Just worried about how hard the install and adjustments are gonna be. But the way you describe it, hell why not. Guess I gotta put the order in.
Keep us posted on how the clutch works out!

Find me a job there in PWD. I am at PWD NAS PAX up here in MD. (full time job, CSS is part time business) :D

glittle75

Established Member
I used Promotion for my last clutch change as well. 650 kit. I talk to Walt the whole time, and the customer service was top notch.

I had a Fidanza flywheel, wasn't sure of the brand at the time, but Walt helped me ID it by the serial number, and got me the part number for a new friction surface. And it was either off the top of his head, or he's really fast looking things up. I think its the first option.

Clutch has been in for 2k miles now, and it holds my power great. But aside from that, I will go with promotion again, soley for the customer service.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Great to hear op. I have a promotion clutch too and like it so far. I have maybe 1200 miles on mine.

greenflash00

Established Member
I put the 750 hi clamp in mine last summer and it holds for days. I have read people having better luck with the 760 option rather than the 750 but mine has held up flawlessly so far and drives just like stock. And yes their customer service is top notch!

ctgreddy

Established Member
My 750 lasted great until my first track outing where it crapped out. still worked/held fine on the street but did not like the track. Slipped after just one run. I've since put in an rxt which is night and day better. the 750 actually looked like it was deteiorating when I pulled it out and I have no idea how it held at all after looking at it.

Users who are viewing this thread