Project Update Track Visit w/VMP Gen 2 TVS (ported)

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
So I went to the track around a month ago with the ported Gen 2 VMP TVS. This was my first time with aftermarket suspension on the car:

BMR GT500 drag springs
Viking Warrior shocks
BMR econo lca's
BMR lca relocation brackets
BMR bolt-on arb
This recipe was courtesy of Kelly Aiken of BMR

This was also my first trip with a 63mm pulley (18lbs).

On a mild timing ramp off idle, it went 1.34 on the first launch. The video showed the front end dropping a little quickly. I then went up to make a 660' pass to check shift points. I accidentally rolled slightly before going wot, but still went 1.36 / 9.28 @ 151.46. The log showed definite room for improvement and the tuner said "we're going 8's". You can imagine how exciting that was to hear.

So I then did the logical thing, I removed the ported Gen 2 and upgraded to a VMP Gen 3 TVS. . Ha ha ha.

It's a beast. I havs no data to share other than the same pulley that made 15lbs on the ported Gen 2 VMP TVS (69mm), made 21 just before the shift on the Gen 3 VMP TVS. It hits hard and then boost still climbs with rpm. When I would go wot on concrete with the Gen 2, it would stick and would hold until I shifted or let off. With the Gen 3, it holds and then spins as power comes on. Not at all scientific, but just wanted to share. This happensd last weekend and was freaky to say the least. We're talking Pro Bracket Radials aired down to 20lbs, warm tires, warm concrete, rolling into it and then going wot. This was lso with a larger, 75mm pulley (15lbs).

I have a full range of pulleys from 79 down to 63. I have added adjustable struts and have a new tune ready to roll. I may run the car Wednesday night to see where I am and get some starter data. Do some 60' passes and if it will go 1.2x, then try for a 5.8x in the 1/8th and if that happens, go for a full pull.

The goal before season's end is to go a 1.2x in the 60' and an 8.99. The Gen 3 should definitely make the job a little easier. If this is attained, I'll retire the car from 1/4 mile and make 1/8th mile passes only due to my lack of safety equipment.

20180706_222151.jpeg
20180802_201101.jpeg
Screenshot_20180804-073831_Messenger.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread