• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Project Coyote Notch interior swap IRS CA smog legal

Discussion in 'Fox Body Mustangs' started by RRRCobraSC281, Sep 23, 2014.

1. RRRCobraSC281

RRRCobraSC281 Member Established Member

Well, I've been working on the window motors off and on for a week now and it seems that there's a motor rotation sensor on the cuircut board inside the power motor housing. I'm now in search of the passenger side power window motor because I need the motor attached to the housing. The way I'm going to wire it is going to be like the one on the left.

image_zpsrrlrkyz0.jpg

Also working on putting steering rack limiters. This can work for power steering racks as well. These flaming river steering racks are aftermarket and allow the wheels to turn further than stock which is a problem. Made these spacers out of 1" pvc pipe. My proto type was on the larger side (7). I made 6 more in varying smaller sizes.

image_zpsab58kqxo.jpg

2. RRRCobraSC281

Solved the dome light mystery. It seems that the 1 ground I didn't attach on the driver see was the culprit. Once it was securely fastened the dome light worked as it should.

Worked on the power mirrors today. Almost straight forward. But of course nothing it easy with this build. The up/down worked as it should, but the left/right was backwards. I needed to reverse the wiring to the 1 motor. But of course, wires were not used here.
    Sorry about getting ahead of myself and not taking a true before pic.
    image_zpsqu777rl6.jpg

Here is what it looks like after I rearranged the power grid for the left/right motor.
    image_zpsuepqin08.jpg

Here what it looks like with the everything wired up on the driver side, minus the door speaker.
    image_zpssvlw7ovp.jpg

3. oldstv

oldstv Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Looks like progress!!

4. BLKFOX

BLKFOX Active Member Established Member

I love this! Good job man!

5. NotSoStockMach

NotSoStockMach New Member Established Member

I just went through the 6 pages, looks like you do great work! Cant wait to see it finished.

6. gallopingford

gallopingford Hi, my name is Cam Established Member

This build is awesome! The workmanship is top notch. What are your plans as far as wiring the taillights and headlights to accommodate for the body harness? Will that be a challenge since they were programmed for LED's in the rear and the HID's in the front?

Edit: Found some info.

Long story short. Figuring out how to wire up 05-09 tail lights and headlights without getting to complex.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. RRRCobraSC281

The 2013 wire harness is a bit different than the 2005-09 harness. I believe the 05-09 use incandescent bulbs and are not LEDs so the wire sizes would be fine and the wiring would be less complicated.

Last few weeks been trying to find reasons why the car won't turn over, and found that the PCM relay coil isn't coming on. I suspect it's a PATS issue. Went to the local Ford service department and they have told me that it is very likely that it will need to be retrained, since the battery was disconnected for over a year. Taking the car to have them reprogram PATS this coming Monday. Hopefully that's it and I'll be able to finish up the exhaust and take it to BAR ref and get it certified California smog compliant.

8. streetpilot

streetpilot Member Established Member

Any updates? This is great stuff.

9. RRRCobraSC281

PATS has been re-taught. 2nd key made. Car sounds tough. AC system charged.
    Making transition pieces for the S197 H-pipe to SN95 cat-backs. Did note that there is a very small leak on the low pressure hard line were it was shortened and welded back together.

Will take care of it when I have my buddy weld the full length sub frames.

Gonna investigate why the park lights lights light up when I use the turn signals. It's not noticeable when the park/head lights are on.

And next week Thursday I'll have a temporary permit so I can present the car to the BAR referee. So far no check engine light.

10. oldstv

I was about to ask you where you were on this. That show is right around the corner, are you going to make it?

11. RRRCobraSC281

No worries. I gotta hunch where I went wrong on the park light wiring. It will be on the road by the end of next week.

12. oldstv

Good to hear. I can't wait to see it done.

13. nikkodnp

nikkodnp Member Established Member

What happened to the mustang that these were stripped off of??

14. oldstv

Just checking in on you. What is she looking like?

15. 5.0 Ford Power

5.0 Ford Power *derp* Established Member

I can answer that question. I was rear ended by an escape that was doing about 45mph. Pushed me into a Frontier that was stopped in front of me. :bash::bash::bash:

16. oldstv

It sucked to be you that day.

17. BLKFOX

BLKFOX Active Member Established Member

I wish that I would've went the Coyote route, I regret it now. Great job man!

18. RRRCobraSC281

20160404_125125_zpsmnwcm6zn.jpg

Well I've put about 200 miles on her so far and I've got to say that the motor is a beast. And the MGW race spec shifter really makes shifting a breeze. After all the trouble I went through the to include ABS/traction control, not using the EPAS has disabled those features. When I did the Mach Notch, the ABS module was a pretty straight forward feature. This is one thing I've noticed on this car is it has a bunch of communication/feedback inputs and outputs which makes it not as simple as I'd like. And not having power steering is okay, but the steering wheel is more forward and the seat is set a little higher than it was with the Mach 1 seats or the fox seats. And add the fact I got 18x9 front wheels and had to put limiters on the Flaming River steering rack, irs a royal pain in the you know what just pulling into a parking spot. So lessen the impact I've ordered sn95 UPR a-arms and inner tie rods from Flaming river. This will kick the wheels out a little, but will allow me more range of motion, that I'll be able to make it in to a parking stall in 1 shot. Maybe later this summer I'll get a power steering setup and complete this car for good.

I'm low on funds at the moment, but really have the upholstery shop to finish up the little things on the interior.

I had the side moldings prepainted, but ended up wavy when it cured. So when I started to install them, and flattened the ends it cracked. The painter did warn me of this. So another new set of moldings were ordered. This time I'm gonna have them paint the molding while they are on the car.

1 other thing I'm trying to make work normal is the fuel sending unit. The S197 had 2 sending units, but the Mach 1 tank I'm using only has 1. Well I thought if I'd just jump the sending unit output to both instrument cluster input, problem solved....But nope. Getting a high value reading fault on B sending unit. I'm about to test and compare the ohm readings of the S197 sending unit to the sn95 unit and see what's going on.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  19. nikkodnp

nikkodnp Member Established Member

congrats! nice to hear you've already put some testing miles on her. Maybe a video up soon to hear how she sounds :p

20. suicidekings

suicidekings Garage Queen Established Member

Car looks awesome in person man! This thing is a nightmare to photograph in the direct sunlight, it gets so blown out. It was great meeting and talking with you (This is Tony btw, we spoke early on when all the cars were rolling in)

These are the only good images I got of your car.

DSC_3394_zpsapddotxs.jpg
    DSC_3404_zpsv7vovddl.jpg
    DSC_3400_zpsroqglhvf.jpg

98 svt likes this.