procharger p1sc or d1sc for 98 cobra?

gtmustang00

Established Member
I have a 98 cobra 9800 miles. I'm looking to put a procharger on it. Not sure if i should get a p1sc or d1sc? Also, mounting the kit/intercooler, do i have to drill any holes? Im looking at procharger vs vortech because i prefer not to drill a hole in my 9800 mile oil pan. I will get bigger injectors/maf/fuel pump and ditch the fmu set up. How much boost could i run and what rwhp would that put me at? If the motor blows i'll go forged and more boost.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
You do not have to punch a hole in the oil pan for the P1SC or D1SC as they are self contained blowers. With most but not all Vortech units you have to punch a hole in the pan. Honestly punching a hole is not that big a deal, its easy. Vortech does make a V3 head unit that is self contained.

As for which one, P1SC or D1SC I would say D1SC IF you have the funds to do a rebuild right now. The D1SC flows alot of cfm and not many street cars with a stock bottom end last very long with the D1SC, even when running low boost. I'm a prime example. My engine didn't last longer than 4k miles with the D1SC. On the other hand if you have the money to rebuild right now and are not worried if the engine fails shortly after install then go D1SC over P1SC without question. The D1SC flows more cfm and has much more boost and over all horse power potential over the P1SC.

As for the limit on the stock short block its about 450rwhp. Anything more than that and you are pressing your luck. Then again every thing is pressing your luck when you start to add boost to an engine that was not designed for it in the first place. I was making just over 400rwhp at 6800rpms, 2 degrees of timing(thats it!!!) and it was tuned in 115+ degrees in the Phoenix heat. BTW I saw 8# on the boost guage. I think that in better weather, more timing and a much better tune all together my car would have made over 450rwhp, even on just 8#.

It comes down mostly to your tune and how you drive your car in determining how long and the stock short block will last. Some will last for years, some will hold 500rwhp and other like me will break in less than 4k miles making shit for power. I however, didn't have the best of tunes and I ran my car hard ALOT, so really alot rests on my shoulders.

Erich

Established Member
It all depends on your goals. To make use of the D1, forged pistons and rods are in your future. The D1 is capable of a nice amount of boost. I see 20 psi with a 3.4 pulley. But with a stock motor, you will really want to dial that down-maybe 8-10 psi.
Erich

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Whats the power potential of a P1SC and a D1?

ProCharger Supercharger Models

Follow the link. The specs on all the Procharger blower with the exception of the new F1D are on that page. However, the horse power ratings are hard to decipher because a forged LS7 will make more per pound of boost than a forged 96-98 B headed DOHC due to the displacement differences. In reality for a 4.6 DOHC you are looking at 400-550rwhp with the P1SC and 450-650rwhp with the D1SC. Although there have been some people in some cases to make over 700rwhp with the D1SC on a 4.6 but that is certainly not the norm. For rwhp goals of 600-800rwhp I would say go with a F1A, F1C or the new F1D.

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
Depends on what your goals are, but I would go D1. It will be cheaper and easier to go D1 now versus upgrading your P1 later, if in fact you plan to build a motor down the road.

On another note, if you are interested in going Vortech, don't let the oil pan deal stop you. You can always throw a new oil pan on it if you decide to go a different route later.

matt87

Established Member
i did the d1 on my stick block, gone about 1k miles so far. i run a 4 inch pulley and it still sees 13 psi. i'm running an afm powerpipe too. i look at it like this, both can make well over 400 rwhp so get whichever you can get the best deal on. i highy suggest doing gears with whichever centri blower you choose. i've rhode in a stock geared novi 1000 99 cobra, it was so slow i woulda cried if it were mine.

Users who are viewing this thread