Procharger hard to install?

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
My 3 core Cobra procharger kit should be in my salivating little hands in a matter of days. Any pointers, pitfalls, things-that-could-blow-up, or plain-old "have a shop do it" parts of the install are requested.

I am a fairly patient person when it comes to mechanical things....I installed a turbo on my Yamaha R1 successfully. Come on people BOOST my confidence.

Here is a "pre-lowering" shot yesterday....I will post the "post-lowering" in the morning. I also installed my Magnaflow cat-back...sounds really brawny BUT not overpowering.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I just installed my procharger this weekend... A buddy and I did it ourselves. Took about 8 hours. Its all straightforward, and everything is included but there are a few things that are a PITA

1. You have to cut off the old fuel injector plugs and replace them with the supplied ones. I want to bash the engineer at ford for designing the cobras with different fuel injector designs than the GT's and the 42 pounders that I had to put in. Make sure you do it right, and solder and heat shrink the wires.

2. The fuel tank is a little tougher to drop out of the cobras due to the IRS. I had to drop it out a number of times because the walbro fuel pump siezed up after 5 minutes of idling. It seemed to hold good fuel pressure with the factory pump for now... and, procharger is replacing the walbro without any fuss.

3. Make sure there is nothing coming into contact with the fins in the intercooler. When we mounted mine, there was a metal piece on the front, driver side hitting the little fins.. you cant see it unless you really look. watch out for that. We cut it off.

4. Be positive to get ALL of the goo off of the service port on the computer before you install the chip.

5. Youve got to lengthen the power-steering lines. (the kit comes with all the supplied hardware) When you start the car up for the first time, the power steering pump will have air in it and sound NASTY!! fill that bugger up, and turn the wheel from lock to lock a few times. When I first started mine up, i thought that SICK sound was the blower. Its all good now.

5. Just follow the directions. they are straightforward, and everything is included. Don't do anything half-assed. The procharger is a lot easier to install than some other blowers because it it self-contained. (no oil lines to route)

GOOD LUCK!!! youll have a permanent grin, like the grinch when its all done!!

-Homer

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
On your intercooler...did u have to use the 3 aluminum lowering brackets OR did u retain the stock mounting locations?

The only hole lining up for me is the "L" braket coming off the hood latch area. And my intercooler tilts a little(that part is probably ok).

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
the bracket coming off the hood area doesnt bolt up exatly right for me... I had to bend the bracket and drill a new hole in the top of that "L" bracket.

The two bottom mounting brackets fit perfectly though.

I wish the intercooler sat a tad lower, though. Might have to take care of that.

-Homer

Venmous28

Established Member
whats this about the powersteering? my vortech didnt have to touch the p/s and the oil return line into pan only took a good 30 mins...

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Iupsnake....when splicing in the new injectors clips(which by the way have 2 white wires)...the old stock clips have several different colors on them...red is on everyone then various colors on the remaining.

I am assuming the red is positive as always (correct?) then the other browns, tans, blue,etc...are the ground(or commonly colored black)?

Help:shrug:

ps=anyone else is welcome to answer as well...thanks guys!

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
yea.. this one is a bitch. I want to shoot the engineer that designed this injector style for ONLY the cobras.

This is how I figured it out:
on the passenger side, the positive always faces the rear of the car.
On the drivers side, the positive faces the front of the car.
(basically, the positive wire is the left wire)

With your old injectors still plugged in (or at least with the plugs facing the correct direction) , take note of which wire faces front, and which faces rear.

Make sure you solder and heatshrink the wires, and put wire loom over it to cov cer it up. That is one area that i would not rush through. I hated cutting off the old injector plugs.

-Homer

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
On the injector topic, you can buy adapters from Pauls HP Shop. I did not splice mine, I paid for the plug and play option. You can but the 42lb injectors with the new plug now... Even Better!

http://www.paulshp.com/paulshp.htm (Pauls Shop)
http://www.modularmadness.com/fuel.html (link for new injectors)

I removed the power steering cooler and bought a fitting to hook the two hoses together. I changed the PS fluid to a synthetic blend. So far no issues with it.
The Fuel Pump is a PITA to install with out loosing fuel pressure. I removed the sock completely now. I recommend buying a Chicane pump or the 03 Cobra tank and dual pumps.

Talk to Don at http://www.modularmadness.com
The stock Power Pipe sux, I went with a aftermarket one, that I purchased today

http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?WMS-PVT

My .02

Raider187 (Rick)

Last edited:

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Whats the scoop on the hose coming of the "surge-valve" aka..blow-off valve, that has a white plastic.nylon "t" fitting on it?

Where did all of u connect this too?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
vacum line. Thats how it can tell how to "blow off, surge, or vent boost". When it senses sudden vacum (when the throttle body closes), it bypasses the boost.

Its standard on all BOV's, cheap and expensive.

-Homer

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Yes, I understand what it does...just contemplating where to attach the t-fitting too? Does your 99 Cobra have red plastic lines coming off of the intake manifold(towards the back..there may be some black plastic tubing covering the red line).

Where did u, IUPsnake, connect your line?

Users who are viewing this thread