Procharger and oil all through intake - WITH catch can

Reaper14

Established Member
I thought the gen 3 blocks with gen 2 heads was a no go.
You can get a new gen3 shortblock cheap from tasca,guys are using that shortblock with gen 2 heads and gen 1 timing components and they are making good power. The gen 3 seems to be holding some good power on a budget

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vic

7Lemons

Established Member

Vic

I thought I read that as well, not sure.

Something like this is looking good - gen 2 Aluminator barely used, basically a crate engine ~$7k: 5.0l Cyote Engine M-6007-A50SCA Aluminator | eBay

Then I need to install my gen 1 intake cams (gen2 exhaust cams are okay from what I read on another thread??) and plug an oil hole somewhere. Again, just getting this from reading other threads about gen2 block in a gen 1.

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member

Vic
There is a small thing with the head gaskets one of the cooling ports is slightly different its slightly blocked by the gasket but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Reaper14

Established Member
Yeah thats what it is. Was in a thread where an engine shop chimed in & said they would not recomend nor do that for costumers. But that was shortly after it had been tried. Idk how well it has endured.
There is a small thing with the head gaskets one of the cooling ports is slightly different its slightly blocked by the gasket but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Vic

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
Yeah thats what it is. Was in a thread where an engine shop chimed in & said they would not recomend nor do that for costumers. But that was shortly after it had been tried. Idk how well it has endured.

Vic
Midnight performance has a bunch of them out there and they are doin work! Look some stuff up on YouTube about it theres a few guys that show everything in detail

7Lemons

Established Member
Yes, should boot right uo even using your own heads. Just main thing is your timing components. Gen 2 short blocl would be right up your alley.

Vic
Vic - thanks for the advice and insight so far. I'm making a new thread for overall suggestions since it's off topic with my original thinking of a pcv issue :( but just a general question - how hard is the swap of the short block, generally speaking? I've swapped a whole engine before (a long time ago) and I've done all the work to this car myself, or with my car friend (like my clutch more recently). But, I've never assembled a motor like this from a low level starting with the short block. It looks/seems not that bad, but maybe I'm being naive, lol? Also I read a lot of good info on the other thread where you guys were discussing this topic not that long ago. Thanks!

Leonidas514

Good day guys. New to the forum and reading this thread my setup has a similar issue although not nearly as bad. My car has the D1X and just made full power on the dyno so don't think I have a compression issue. I have breathers in both valve covers but my ProCharger has no air filter only a screen. My concern is my breathers get covered in oil in literally 5 minutes. Was thinking of adding a catch can to the passenger side of the throttle body that is currently capped off and connecting to the passenger side valve cover. I always smell a hint of oil but nothing major. I'm thinking I need something to pull a little vacuum out of the motor but have nowhere to hook a hose for the PCV on the intake. Thoughts?

DarkMach1

Established Member
Good day guys. New to the forum and reading this thread my setup has a similar issue although not nearly as bad. My car has the D1X and just made full power on the dyno so don't think I have a compression issue. I have breathers in both valve covers but my ProCharger has no air filter only a screen. My concern is my breathers get covered in oil in literally 5 minutes. Was thinking of adding a catch can to the passenger side of the throttle body that is currently capped off and connecting to the passenger side valve cover. I always smell a hint of oil but nothing major. I'm thinking I need something to pull a little vacuum out of the motor but have nowhere to hook a hose for the PCV on the intake. Thoughts?

sorry but covering breathers in oil in 5 minutes sounds bad. Don’t “think”, do a compression and leakdown. I’ve had breathers for a year on my Procharger coyote and so far no oil residue on valve covers or filters.

Users who are viewing this thread