Process of removing wax and sealant to start over?

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
So about 12 months ago I stripped the car with a dawn wash and did paint correction + sealant + wax. After sitting over the winter the wax has a sticky texture to it instead of the smooth that it was before. There are also a few minor scratches that I missed and would like to take care of. I figure it is time to start over and give it a light buff, then a fresh re-seal. What is the process of stripping all this stuff off again? Just a dawn wash? Or is there a more detailed approach to removing the sealant?

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
If you are washing with dawn, clay barring, and using Polish with a DA there will be no sealant left. Make sure you wipe down with isopropyl alcohol water mix before sealant. I mix it 50/50.
If your not polishing the whole car, then a product like bleedingfordblu said will work.
Im doing the same thing to my Mach 1 in spring. It needs polished again. Going with HD cut and green buff N shine pads with my griots garage DA.

Last edited:

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Wash, clay, polish= no more wax/sealant left. Wipe down with IPA or equivalent and you are set to apply your LSP of choice!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I make a batch that I use in a foam cannon when stripping and coatings of wax/sealant etc.

Shampoo, iron-x, tar-x and APC. Let is soak for a few minutes then rinse, and use the last half of the contents a second time. After a few minutes then I wash. Full clay after, followed by another wash with above method.

Worked in too many cars where "detailers" tried correcting the paint and didn't strip the layers of wax/sealant and did a poor job of correcting the car.

I use straight 70% Isopropyl alcohol. Absolutely no need to dilute unless you are dumping the bottle on the paint. Small dabs into a microfiber and wiping it gently across the surface is it.

josephcostello

Established Member
Only stuff that touches my car is chemical guys. I always use their citrus car wash to fully strip down wax/sealants, and before I clay bar or polish. Here's a link to the wash I would recommend using. I also use a few other of their shampoos and it's all very high quality stuff imo. I've also heard of detailers using dish soap as well.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Citrus_Wash_Gloss_Car_Wash_1_Gal_p/cws_301.htm

Users who are viewing this thread