Problems with RST

moot09

Established Member
Hey guys,

I recently installed a used (~1,000 miles, have pics to verify mileage)McLeod RST with a replacement steel flywheel from McLeod as well. I also have an MM firewall adjuster, MM quadrant and an adjustable pivot ball.

During the install I ran into an issue that from what I have read, some have had it and some don't. However, most threads I read didn't have the same parts or didn't post if they had solved their problem or not.

My issue was getting the TOB from being pressed up against the pressure plate. I tried every adjustment I could. Nothing would work. I couldn't even move the clutch fork at all. Even with the pivot ball adjusted all the way down. So I grinded down a bolt and notched the fork where it was hitting the face of the trans. That seemed to help enough to allow movement of the clutch fork and allow for shifting.

I'm still stuck with notchy shifting and its nearly impossible to get into reverse. I'm usually able to get it into reverse with the car off but with it on it's impossible. I doubled checked the reverse solonoid connector which was good but really could not figure out where to go from there.

Any other ideas? I really don't want to have to pull the tranny AGAIN but it's looking more like it.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
i would start with a new clutch fork a new adjustable pivotball cut 4mm from stock ........I think your problem is in the pivot ball or put the stock pivot ball and you will have good clutch pedal but it will be a little high...hope that makes sense...

cobras55

Established Member
Hey guys,

I recently installed a used (~1,000 miles, have pics to verify mileage)McLeod RST with a replacement steel flywheel from McLeod as well. I also have an MM firewall adjuster, MM quadrant and an adjustable pivot ball.

During the install I ran into an issue that from what I have read, some have had it and some don't. However, most threads I read didn't have the same parts or didn't post if they had solved their problem or not.

My issue was getting the TOB from being pressed up against the pressure plate. I tried every adjustment I could. Nothing would work. I couldn't even move the clutch fork at all. Even with the pivot ball adjusted all the way down. So I grinded down a bolt and notched the fork where it was hitting the face of the trans. That seemed to help enough to allow movement of the clutch fork and allow for shifting.

I'm still stuck with notchy shifting and its nearly impossible to get into reverse. I'm usually able to get it into reverse with the car off but with it on it's impossible. I doubled checked the reverse solonoid connector which was good but really could not figure out where to go from there.

Any other ideas? I really don't want to have to pull the tranny AGAIN but it's looking more like it.

I have the exact same clutch and the exact same problem. Reverse is dam near impossible. Did you end up finding a fix ???
My car is at ford now awaiting transmission removal to investigate the problem, but first I just overnighted a fiore adjustable quad from lethal performance to see if that helps before we get into transmission removal.
My car has been fine for 3-4 thousand miles and now all sudden this. Anyways I can't wait to see what my problem is and if you have anymore information on your situation I would love to hear...Thanks man.....

TRBO VNM

OP, you should have removed the lead weight from the clutch fork. That would give you the clearance from that bolt head on the trans. This is why promotion recommends removing it so that the fork can go back further.

second, you DO want the TOB riding on the PP. You don't want to adjust it so that it is applying pressure and pulling the fingers in, but having it rest on them is fine and is how it was designed from Ford. There is too much false information on here in regards to that.

The pivot ball, unscrewing it would push the other end of the clutch fork back away from the PP.

cobras55, you didn't buy an adjustable quadrant. You bought a Fiore firewall adjuster. The quadrant, which is under the dash really isn't "adjustable". They make them with multiple hooks, but they aren't necessarily considered adjustable so to speak. Your main point of adjustment is the fiore firewall piece.

Users who are viewing this thread